News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Looking for a car inspector that specializes in MOPARs and or Dodge Chargers.

Started by bigdsul, January 03, 2017, 05:17:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bigdsul

I've located a 1968 Dodge Charger for sale out in the central New Jersey area and was wondering if any members here are familiar with any reputable car inspectors that are in the New Jersey area. I'm interested in knowing more about the car but the seller appears to be a flipper and isn't too familiar with the car he is selling.

Mytur Binsdirti

bigdsul

So how in the heck would I be able to verify a car or know what is wrong with it if I live 3 thousand miles away from the location the car is in?

I'm seriously looking to see if there is an agency or a firm of some sort that can at least be able to go over the car and see what is wrong with it so I can at least make an informed decision about the car.

What the seller knows about it isn't much at all and he's never had a car like that in his possession before.

lukedukem

http://www.autoappraisal.com/locneast.htm
I am not familiar with them, and I'm not sure if they cover the area you need. It does have some New Jersey towns. They do inspections and or appraisal
Have you asked anyone from the site to go look, or does it need to be an inspector?
Good luck

Luke
1969 Charger XP29F9B226768
1981 CJ7 I6 258ci
2016 F150, 5.0, FX4, CC

70 sublime

Did not that last guy looking for an inspector buy a car and have it not turn out to be in as good of shape as the inspector said ??
Think there is a thread here on it someplace
next project 70 Charger FJ5 green

ws23rt

Get to know this seller on the phone.  (not texting).  Have him send you pictures of what you want to see of the car about the condition of the car.

It would be handy to fine someone to look at the car for you (that you may pay for) but you will not feel (automatically) at ease just because you paid money for another's opinion.
If understanding "correctness" of a car is something you feel weak on you will need help.

I'm not up to speed on "inspector" services and even if I was I would not bank too much on them.   This market is very fluid and those that are sensitive about value may better spend money elsewhere.

My vote is to connect with this seller and learn for yourself the details that matter about this car.   Then take a time out with your life and buy a plane ticket to see this car for your self.

A great part of the adventure of this hobby is the seak and find part.  :cheers:

polywideblock

try being on the other side of the world  :rofl:          classic car guy http://www.classiccarguy.com/appraisals.asp
       they do a very thorough inspection and take heaps of pics 

and 71 GA4  383 magnum  SE

hemi-hampton

Don't know the name of the company but they guy that bought my car sent a Inspector, He didn't know a 1/4 of what I know about Mopars but he took a hundred thorough pics of the car & made me drive up & down the street to make sure it was driveable. He wanted to take it out for a drive around town but I had no plates or insurance on the car. I think a Inspector needs to be knowledgable on how to spot a Bondo buggy Earl Scheibed perfume on a Pig. Nice shiny paint can hide a real POS.  Maybe somebody in here can offer to inspect? Good Luck. LEON.

Cncguy

TeeWJay426

there's quite a few members here that live in the Jersey area. Best bet before making any investments in plane tickets or a crap shoot with an unknown appraiser is to hook up with one of them and have them check it out and give you a preliminary idea of what the car is and it's condition. A lot of our members are more knowledgeable on Mopars than the average appraisers.
74 Charger SE, 400 HP, 4-speed

chargerboy69

If it is the yellow 68, I thought it was pricey for its options/condition.

The seller even mentions it needs a new paint job, it has a 318, and I am guessing it will need quarters and rear valance as they are all mudded into one.  In my opinion someone built that one on a very low budget.

If it is not the yellow 68 please ignore everything I said.  :2thumbs:

http://cnj.craigslist.org/cto/5873762414.html
Indiana Army National Guard 1st Battalion, 293rd Infantry. Nightfighters. Fort Wayne Indiana.

A government big enough to give you everything you need, is a government big enough to take away everything that you have.
--Gerald Ford

303 Mopar

Find a member here or on FBBO that could do look at the car for you.  Don't waste your time or money on an inspector or appraiser.
1968 Charger - 1970 Cuda - 1969 Sport Satellite Convertible

bigdsul

Quote from: ws23rt on January 04, 2017, 09:38:40 PM
Get to know this seller on the phone.  (not texting).  Have him send you pictures of what you want to see of the car about the condition of the car.

It would be handy to fine someone to look at the car for you (that you may pay for) but you will not feel (automatically) at ease just because you paid money for another's opinion.
If understanding "correctness" of a car is something you feel weak on you will need help.

I'm not up to speed on "inspector" services and even if I was I would not bank too much on them.   This market is very fluid and those that are sensitive about value may better spend money elsewhere.

My vote is to connect with this seller and learn for yourself the details that matter about this car.   Then take a time out with your life and buy a plane ticket to see this car for your self.

A great part of the adventure of this hobby is the seak and find part.  :cheers:

I've talked to the guy on the phone about the car and he seemed somewhat knowledgeable about cars in general but nothing about chargers or MOPARs.

And that is what kind of worries me. When I had asked specifics about the car he couldn't say anything about it aside from the obvious thats in the pictures. Lower quarters needing replacement and a small hole in the trunk. He said stuff was missing but didn't know what was missing. He is located in New York but the car is an hour away in New Jersey. The car isn't titled in his name either. So these all came across as red flags of sorts. Any other car for sale I've come across the seller knew a good amount about the car.

bigdsul

Quote from: polywideblock on January 04, 2017, 09:58:32 PM
   try being on the other side of the world  :rofl:          classic car guy http://www.classiccarguy.com/appraisals.asp
       they do a very thorough inspection and take heaps of pics 

I'll have to look into this. Thanks! :2thumbs:

bigdsul

Quote from: hemi-hampton on January 04, 2017, 11:57:10 PM
Don't know the name of the company but they guy that bought my car sent a Inspector, He didn't know a 1/4 of what I know about Mopars but he took a hundred thorough pics of the car & made me drive up & down the street to make sure it was driveable. He wanted to take it out for a drive around town but I had no plates or insurance on the car. I think a Inspector needs to be knowledgable on how to spot a Bondo buggy Earl Scheibed perfume on a Pig. Nice shiny paint can hide a real POS.  Maybe somebody in here can offer to inspect? Good Luck. LEON.

That is the sort of person I'm looking for! Someone that can spot a basket case and be able to identify trouble areas on the car.

bigdsul

Quote from: Cncguy on January 05, 2017, 06:54:04 AM
If it was in Indiana I would look at it for you.

Thanks! I'll keep that in mind if one pops up for sale in that area.

bigdsul

Quote from: TeeWJay426 on January 05, 2017, 08:36:53 AM
there's quite a few members here that live in the Jersey area. Best bet before making any investments in plane tickets or a crap shoot with an unknown appraiser is to hook up with one of them and have them check it out and give you a preliminary idea of what the car is and it's condition. A lot of our members are more knowledgeable on Mopars than the average appraisers.

The car is located in Hillsborough township if that helps

bigdsul

So here's a late update. Turns out that car never existed and the "seller" was trying to scam money lol. That never gets old.

The good news is I found a really nice charger out in Columbus Ohio.

Are there any members here in that area who would be willing to look at it for me?

I've already set aside cash to buy this one as it looks to be a solid car from what I've seen. But being 2 thousand miles away makes looking over the car in person difficult for me.

Troy

Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.

bigdsul

Quote from: Troy on February 02, 2017, 04:56:06 PM
Which part of Columbus?

Troy

I'm getting the information about where it's kept. It's a B5 70 charger if that helps

moparchris

There are many reputable car inspector services advertised in Hemmings Motor News every month.  I realize that there are probably a lot of younger members here who are not aware of Hemmings but it has been the "go-to" bible of collector automobiles for 60 years.  You maybe able to find their "services offered" column on their web site www.hemmings.com
Just an option.  To some degree a car is a car.  It is just as obvious if a car is a POS whether it is a Mopar or a GM product.

bigdsul

Quote from: bigdsul on February 02, 2017, 06:49:32 PM
Quote from: Troy on February 02, 2017, 04:56:06 PM
Which part of Columbus?

Troy

Holly hill Columbus Ohio. PM me if you are available and whenever you can check it out

I'm getting the information about where it's kept. It's a B5 70 charger if that helps

hemi-hampton

Quote from: moparchris on February 02, 2017, 06:56:47 PM
There are many reputable car inspector services advertised in Hemmings Motor News every month.  I realize that there are probably a lot of younger members here who are not aware of Hemmings but it has been the "go-to" bible of collector automobiles for 60 years.  You maybe able to find their "services offered" column on their web site www.hemmings.com
Just an option.  To some degree a car is a car.  It is just as obvious if a car is a POS whether it is a Mopar or a GM product.

I don't know about that. What if seller say's it's #'s matching. Will Inspector know if it is & how to tell & what to look for. For the non #'s people disregard this. What if seller says never wrecked & all original sheet metal or original paint. Will inspector know if this is true or not. Saying it's obvious it's a POS is no matter what the car is is not True. Certain people are good at hiding a POS & succesful at passing it off as a nice Gem & good deal, when in reality it's not. And it's the people with the less knowledge that get screwed the most. LEON.