News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Need advice on how to move my 73 Charger, steering wheel locked, no keys

Started by Charger1973, March 16, 2006, 08:17:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Charger1973

One of my 73 Chargers (the one im going to tear down to restore) didnt come with a set of keys.  The steering wheel is locked and I need to move it, not real far just around the corner and into a garage.  I need to be able to turn the wheels or I will have to drag it sideways (which I dont want to do, especially since it has new tires on it now).  Any ideas?  I have considered unhooking the steering column completely and just turning the wheels, and also though about possibly taking the steering column apart to release the lock, which I will need to do eventually anyway to install a new ignition switch with keys.  What would my best (and easiest) approach be and can anyone give me some advice on how to do it?  This is one area of these cars I have never really messed with. 

chargerbr549

The right way to do it would be to take the column apart and push the little tab in on the lock cylinder and slide it out and then you can get a pair of long pair of pliers in there to unlock the column, or one way that worked for me one time because I was in a bind (and no I am not a car thief) I took a slidehammer and screwed it in the cylinder where the key goes in and slidehammered it out, it "should" break the small tab in the cylinder itself and slide out and then just slide a new one in. Although I tried another time on a parts car that I had picked up and it didn't work at all, so try it at your own risk.

Kevin

RallyeMike

Take a door lock out, take it to a locksmith, and have him make you a key. While your at it, do the trunk.
1969 Charger 500 #232008
1972 Charger, Grand Sport #41
1973 Charger "T/A"

Drive as fast as you want to on a public road! Click here for info: http://www.sscc.us/

Charger1973

Money is a little tight at the moment but it otherwise sounds like a good plan.  How much does that run?

Ghoste

If it's a quickly needed and one time move, you might also try a rental place or a towing company and see if you can borrow for of those little roller skate affairs.  You stick them around the wheel and pump them up and essentially the car gets jacked up at each corner and the little jack affair is on swivelling casters allowing you to move it.
We use those all the time at the auctions when customers park their car in the wrong spot and take off with their keys.

squeakfinder

OPTION 1
I've had to do this with other cars, not your particular model though. Pull the cosmetic stuff off the steering wheel (the part you push to honk the horn) there might be a couple of screws on the back of the wheel holding it on. This should expose a couple of threaded holes on both sides of a nut your going to need to remove. Those holes are for bolts that come with a steering wheel or hub puller. Once you get the wheel off with the puller you can pull the turn signal switch (its held in with screws). This I think will expose the anti theft device and hopefully the ignition switch enough to where you can pull one or both of these items to unlock the column.

OPTION 2
This one is going to require one or two helpers. Unhook the steering column from the steering box. If its like the other mopars I've worked on there is going to be a roll pin going threw the coupler at the input shaft of the steering box (or sterring gear). You'll need to punch this pin out with a hammer and punch. Then unbolt the column from the firewall  and the dash and pull it apart from the steering box. Now this is where your helpers come in. You'll need to pull and kick the steer tire's to turn the car. Push and pull to get it to go the direction you want it.

Oh wait, you were looking for an easy way weren't you?  :icon_smile_big:
Still looking for 15x7 Appliance slotted mags.....

Charger1973

Well the steering column is already disconnected from the dash frame because someone has removed the cluster at one point.
So can i just turn the whole column?  Will that damage anything? 
If not I will probably try and take apart the column enough to unlock it. 

Chryco Psycho

Quote from: RallyeMike on March 17, 2006, 12:46:51 AM
Take a door lock out, take it to a locksmith, and have him make you a key. While your at it, do the trunk.
usually $15-20
if you rotate the whole column make sure the wiring is unplugged at least

squeakfinder

Is it unbolted from the firewall? You'll have to crawl under the dash stand on your head to unbolt it. There should be a bracket bolted to the column that bolts to the dash. I would think that bracket would need to be removed before the column will turn a complete 360 degree's. Be careful not to brake the turn signal lever if it's got one. And yes be sure to unplug the wiring harness.
Still looking for 15x7 Appliance slotted mags.....