News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

body color or black?

Started by Dreamcar, June 26, 2014, 06:59:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dreamcar

What color should the inner fenders be in the wheel well area, front and back? My car had the factory undercoat, but should that be painted over in body color after undercoating is re-applied? What about the areas on the frame where the factory didn't undercoat? I was going to leave the wheel well areas and underside in satin black/undercoating, but I'm just wondering what's more "correct".
"And another thing, when I gun the motor, I want people to think the world is coming to an end." - Homer Simpson

1969 Charger, 383, Q5/V1W, A35, H51, N88,  numbers match (under restoration)

comet_666

Are you going for factory restore or driver?

Dreamcar

Quote from: comet_666 on June 26, 2014, 07:50:37 AM
Are you going for factory restore or driver?

A near factory look, but I want to drive it regularly in the summer. It's a numbers matching 383. The engine bay will for sure be body color.
"And another thing, when I gun the motor, I want people to think the world is coming to an end." - Homer Simpson

comet_666

HeavyFuel

Wheel wells are body color.  The optional undercoating makes them 'black'.

Dreamcar

Quote from: comet_666 on June 26, 2014, 08:22:42 AM
Is it undercoated now?

Yes it is.

Quote from: HeavyFuel on June 26, 2014, 08:25:33 AM
Wheel wells are body color.  The optional undercoating makes them 'black'.

Thanks. I think that whatever the undercoat doesn't cover I will leave black.

Mike DC

The factory generally wasn't in the business of blacking things out. 

And ironically, the one blackout that they did a lot - the rad & support visible behind the grille - has largely fallen out of favor today.

Ghoste

Is it out of favor or is it just a lot of Mopar neophytes who don't know?

Hard Charger

I would undercoat the wheel wells.

it will get chipped up driving if left in paint.

Troy

I hate seeing body color in the wheel wells. All my cars have had undercoating in there (even cars that aren't fully undercoated). The front fenders (especially!) need that rubber/tar gunk to avoid getting an "outie" on the tops of the fenders from rocks and junk thrown up from the tire as there is only a single layer of sheet metal. The rears are completely encased by the inner and outer wheel wells so damage is less likely - but do you want to listen to all that metallic pinging while driving down the road?

Troy
Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.

Dreamcar

I was thinking about maybe some paintable undercoating so i could paint that body color...i dunno

Mopar Nut

"Dear God, my prayer for 2024 is a fat bank account and a thin body. Please don't mix these up like you did the last ten years."

Dreamcar

The entire wheel well area needs to be stripped...its that bad