News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Power buffer or hand?

Started by Ghoste, June 26, 2014, 09:17:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wax application

Power buffer
All by hand
Combination

Ghoste

We seem to talk fairly often about what type of finish care products we prefer but seldom about how to use them.  Whats your preferred application method?

A383Wing

hand...you can get too rough with a power buffer and burn the paint easy...no matter how careful you are

lukedukem

Even though I don't have a nice clear oat paint job, I hand wax my truck. I know it pretty big with a lot of area to cover. But I find it easier to control my hand movement and pressure than a powered tool. Plus for some reason I find it more rewarding.  But you won't catch me hand drilling holes into metal. I'll opt for a power drill.  :lol:

Luke
1969 Charger XP29F9B226768
1981 CJ7 I6 258ci
2016 F150, 5.0, FX4, CC

gsniegow

It all depends...  If there are swirls that are annoying me I will use the dual orbital buffer to knock them out.  If it's just a coat of protection and shine, then I stick with my hands.  I use Zaino which is so unbelievably easy that any machine work would be too much overkill.

~Gene

twodko

I use both too. I own a simple 12" pad Sears Craftsman random orbital buffer that I use very lightly on the sides
of my car but never close to ANY body lines. Around those and the hood/trunk they always get buffed by hand.
FLY NAVY/Marine Corps or take the bus!

bill440rt

I voted Combo. It all depends what needs to be done.

The only time I touch a rotary buffer is buffing after color sanding, or if the finish on a vehicle is so bad there is no other choice.
If I feel there are some swirls that need to be taken care of I will use a random orbital with some polish or glaze & a foam pad.
I tried the random orbital with wax & a foam pad for wax, but with the waxes I use I seem to get better results by hand.
"Strive for perfection in everything. Take the best that exists and make it better. If it doesn't exist, create it. Accept nothing nearly right or good enough." Sir Henry Rolls Royce

Silver R/T

Only thing I apply by hand is wax, for everything else I use buffer.
http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks

1968 silver/black/red striped R/T
My Charger is hybrid, it runs on gas and on tears of ricers
2001 Ram 2500 CTD
1993 Mazda MX-3 GS SE
1995 Ford Cobra SVT#2722

Cooter

Depends. Most times, I don't wax with a buffer. But if I see a blemish, I'll cut it down with my Makita.
" I have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours researching what works and what doesn't and I'm willing to share"

1974dodgecharger

Machine for me... Nothing fancy just meguiars D/A polisher.....