News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Exhaust Manifold Removal Question

Started by ODZKing, June 25, 2014, 05:43:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ODZKing

73 Charger - 400 4bbl with HP manifolds.
Removing the exhaust manifolds, when I remove the bolts, will I loose fluid?
Should the system be drained first?

Bob

If the studs stay in, no. I think its the rear studs that go into the water jacket.  I have one leaking on the rigjt rear because I did not put sealer on the new stud.

b5blue

Drain it, some studs are gonna back out when ya pull the manifolds almost certainly unless everything is really sweet. They tend to bind tighter to the barrel nuts then the head mostly but there is no way to tell till you do it. (I had that aw crap moment in the past, now your leaking fluid, the manifolds not clear so am I leaking it back into the exhaust port and into my cylinder past the valve?)

ODZKing

Well, it was just put back together in 2013 but I get the idea.
Is it the back 2 on each side or one on each side nearest the firewall that are in the water jacket?  :popcrn:

firefighter3931

ALL of the exhaust bolts are wet on a factory head  :yesnod:

I use Ultra Copper high heat RTV on them and let it set-up for several hours or better yet overnight.... before refilling the cooling system. Give the silicone time to cure  ;)

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs