News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Electric fuel pump

Started by farmboy12357, June 29, 2014, 07:31:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

farmboy12357

Hey guys,

So I have an electric fuel pump that I want to put on my 68 dodge charger and I was wondering where the best place to mount it is. I don't know how far away from the exhaust it should be so I was wondering where you guys placed yours. Thanks!

c00nhunterjoe

As close to the fuel tank as possible. Usually on the frame rail.

farmboy12357

Okay, I hold it up on the frame rail and I looks like it'll be too close to the exhaust, like 4 inches away. Is that far enough?

Ghoste

Should be, your fuel line is already that close.

FastbackJon

Yes, they need to be back near they tank and below it if possible. They do better pushing than pulling. I put mine (Holley Red) on the frame rail of the '68 RT near the exhaust but built a custom aluminum heat shield for it that sits between them both not touching either one as electric motors don't like to get hot, they quit working. It would quit on me after a while before I put in the heat shield.

Also make sure...

* Mount it right side up. Electric motor goes on top fuel lines go on bottom.
* Fuse the power wire going to it near the source (like the IGN side of the voltage regulator) or else if it shorts you can burn up other wiring.
* Some of them need a return line to the tank to push excess fuel back and relieve the pressure. Others like mine (Holley Red) don't.

Good luck!
"This was the dedication of the altar, in the day when it was anointed, by the princes of Israel: twelve chargers of silver, twelve silver bowls, twelve spoons of gold..." -- Numbers 7:84 KJV

1965gp

I put my Holley red by the tank on our TA and haven't had any issues. I mounted an inline pump in the engine compartment and it burned up in 6 months with just occasional driving.

Some advice- we had an issue with our car flooding because my wife would turn the ignition on then tune the radio and finally try to start it. Problem is it was flooding because it was constantly adding gas while not running. Just a little gas was enough to foul out plugs and make it run like crap.

Classic industries sells a wiring module for about $30 that uses a tach signal. Like a new car the pump primes (gets power) for three seconds and then cuts off. It then only gets power while receiving a signal from the tach (cranking or running). So far so good and it was very easy to install. I won't put an electric pump on without one of these again. It's also a safety feature- if your in a wreck and the engine dies a regular pump will continue to push fuel which in a chance of fire could be extremely dangerous.