News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

trans shift is rough into reverse

Started by Stegs, June 26, 2014, 12:50:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Stegs

my 727 is acting weird going into reverse

not sure if its the trans, but when I put it into reverse, it kinda slams. Shakes the car......almost as if the idle is too high, but its not

Could it be the trans or just a worn out ujoint on the driveshaft? any ideas?

firefighter3931

That's a typical worn u-joint symptom  :yesnod:

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

fy469rtse

Like Ron said , could be a bad uni, my last charger was like that
Check your slip yoke output shaft bush, if that's flogged out that wont help, next thing I did was drop the centre out of my 83/4 , new bearings and clutches, lash was way out of spec on ring and pinion, set correctly minimised clunk,
I know drives you crazy, but typical of the era, but can be minimised with the above ,
Centre gears lash would be a must, doesn't take much play, backlash there to make that clunk

John_Kunkel

A rear band that's way out of adjustment can cause it to slam into Reverse.
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

Stegs

great info guys, its not a hard slam as if the car will break or anything, but just way harder than it needs to be...

I will start with new ujoints in the drive shaft and go from there, eventually I think new gears will be in order so if it is internal, we will deal with it then

fy469rtse

Good plan, start with uni's ,
Next the slip yoke bush if that's worn out, you might not need new gears , just an adjustment to back lash , 83/4 ? There adjustable, reset and put the centre back in , good luck with it , hope all goes well  :2thumbs:

Stegs

99% sure on the 8 3/4.....haven't had time to crawl underneat the back side yet.....been farting around with the motor and other things

it shift into drive just fine, that's the weird part....no clicking or strange vibrations at any mph

I think u joints are easy to do and fairly cheap...always a good idea, if its more than that....well then we keep our "to-do" list growing  :2thumbs:

fy469rtse

Uni's first, then slip yoke bush, also make sure you have the the correct boot type seal to end of trans ext housing , helps keep crap out of that bush area , slip yoke

Back N Black