News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

A boat shed structural construction question for the engineers

Started by oldcarnut, March 25, 2014, 10:01:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

oldcarnut

I want build a boat shed / open sided patio cover and have a question about the post supports. Size is 20 x 10 corner pole to pole. The poles in the drawing are 6 per side spaced 4ft apart with 10ft span on ends using 4x4 treated.  If I went to 6x6 posts, how far could I get by with on the spacing?  Idea being less poles to open up sides for moving things (like big grill) through the sides.  If I notched out an outer slot for a 2 x 12  support perimeter to rest in for the trusses--sorry I don't have the correct terminology-- would 3 posts per side work?  No snow to worry about, just shingles and plywood roof.  If  there is a website that may help out please let me know as I wasn't able to find one earlier.  Thanks for any suggestions.  I cant use steel or one of the prefab kits because of the HOA.

flyinlow

I'm not an Engineer , my son is but he's at work now. When I built my pole barn I used 6x6 eight feet apart. I have seen commercial Pole barn builders go 12 between posts. You don't have snow load but with no walls and a strong wind a gable roof can generate lift.  I drive a few galvanized spikes in the end of the post going into the ground so when the concrete sets it grabs the spikes. Using hurricane straps at the post/ roof connections might be a good idea.   :Twocents:

Steve P.

HOA's are a huge PITA, but there are ways around the problem. I believe the cheapest way out is a metal carport. In this area I can buy and have them put up, a 18 x 20 for about $800.00. That said, many HOA's have a problem with it looking like it fits the neighborhood. I looked at one in a friends HOA neighborhood a few years ago that the HOA had no problem with. It was basically a factory metal carport, only they added wood to the supports and then finished the supports with stucco. On the roof or I should say, FOR THE ROOF, they used either 5/8ths or 3/4" plywood and finished it with the same shingle as on the roof of the house.

I don't think it was really the same cheep 800 dollar one, but from the inside you could see it was 3x3" tubing. Each "RIB" had a 2x4 through bolted to it and the plywood nailed or screwed to the wood ribs.

I would think it may have actually been more expensive to build it that way ~V~ a pole barn idea, but I think due to having if sit on a concrete slab that may have been what was required.

Something else typically done here is to pour a slab with an integrated footer. Rebar sticking up in the column positions and the use square block to build the columns tieing the rebar together as you go up. Then filling the columns with concrete. The block is usually finishes with stucco and the roofs are build with trusses.

For sure I would get with someone on the HOA board and ask them what they will accept first. If you let them know you want to make it look like it was part of the original build, they usually will give you at least the time of day. 

Most HOA's are more interested in it LOOKING like it belongs than how well it is built.
Steve P.
Holiday, Florida

oldcarnut

This what I was approved for only it has to match my house colors.  Yes they (HOA) are a pain. Some of them do not belong on the ARB board that approves things. This is one that was in my Dads yard I used for an example to get mine approved which I was surprised it did.  I already have a concrete drive to put it on and will be pouring more around it 

Steve P.

This could be an alternative way to go. I think the carport I saw a few years back may have been from this company. At least all the structure looks the same.

I think, if memory serves, it was 3" x 3" Galvanized square tubing. It had about a 3 foot knee wall done in stucco and topped with some flat stone. Could have been fake, I don't know. But it looked great. It was not finished on the inside, but outside it looked real nice.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YPLyqBDB84k
Steve P.
Holiday, Florida

oldcarnut

Thanks for the link  :cheers:   I emailed one of the sales with a print and picture to see what they could put togethor

Steve P.

Very good!! Let me know what they come up with. I have been kicking around doing something of the sort for a jacuzzi room.
Steve P.
Holiday, Florida

oldcarnut

Well I just went and built it myself.  I tried a few companies for getting the tubing set up for plywood but mostly it was a PIA trying to get an estimate from them and most just stated their structures weren't rated for that.  Plus the cost for getting it to use that way was up there too.  Used 6X6 and double 2X8s all around holding prefab trusses.  Worked out pretty good for not having any real background construction experience.  Only thing I had to do was make it 10' X 19'6" instead of 20' with 24" overhangs to keep it under 200 sqft eliminating the city inspection hassle.  They took the money for the permit and that was last I seen of them.  Hung every board without any help and got a roofing co. to shingle it with the rest of the house.  Other than needing some guttering and a piece of trim or two, it's done.  Now to finish off the boat under it and after on to the Superbird clone project.