News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

stock power steering

Started by Hard Charger, May 10, 2015, 06:52:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

myk

Insert popcorn smiley here...
"imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="a/mB3ii4B"><a href="//imgur.com/a/mB3ii4B"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js"

c00nhunterjoe

:popcrn:

I MIGHT still have a trw pump. I will check in the morning.

Kern Dog

The stuff I read was that washers stacks of approx. .125 thick was the tipping point where the boost almost goes away. That is 1/8". I did this on a pump in a 72 Duster and it still had plenty of assist. I may have to add another thin washer and report back.

myk

Quote from: Kern Dog on May 17, 2015, 06:36:08 PM
The stuff I read was that washers stacks of approx. .125 thick was the tipping point where the boost almost goes away. That is 1/8". I did this on a pump in a 72 Duster and it still had plenty of assist. I may have to add another thin washer and report back.

At that point wouldn't it be easier just to take the belt off of the pump?
"imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="a/mB3ii4B"><a href="//imgur.com/a/mB3ii4B"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js"

Back N Black

I did the mod last night and drove the car today, definitely better feel to the steering. I used the brass washer like toocheaptosmoke installed on his pump.

ottawamerc

What a great thread,, I can't wait to try this when I get home. I can't stand the "over compensated" feel of the stock steering and to think it was THIS easy, damn I love this site :icon_smile_big:

Scott :cheers:
This hobby is more than just our cars, it's the people you get to meet along the way!!!

ottawamerc

So I checked my pump last night and it doesn't seem to be like the one described here? My pressure line is on the top front of the pump, what kind is it and does this mod work for this model too?

This hobby is more than just our cars, it's the people you get to meet along the way!!!

Hard Charger

ottawamerc

Pete in NH

Hi,

That pump is what Chrysler  a Federal 1.06 pump. The pump the pressure relief vale modification used is the other style of pump Chrysler used, the Saginaw .94 pump. I don't know where the pressure relief valve is on a 1.06 pump but I don't think the modification will work as outlined.

myk

There has to be a way to modify that pump as well...

Back N Black

Quote from: ottawamerc on June 17, 2015, 06:47:23 AM
Same as this one..

For you pump the pressure relief valve is inside the pump behind the pulley, you have to remove the pulley and reservoir tank to remove the pressure relief valve.

ottawamerc

After a quick search I found this archived article http://www.moparts.org/Tech/Archive/steering/1.html May help some, I know it cleared up my questions for my Federal pump. :2thumbs:

ottawamerc

Well I removed my pump last night to try to figure out this mod on my Federal pump. Once it was out of the car it is just as simple as the TRW pump, basically remove the 3 mount bolts and pull off the rear reservoir tank (easy) then the relief assembly can be seen in the back of the pump. It is held in with a inside spring clip, once removed it falls out and then just add shims. I used a copper banjo bolt washer from a brake caliper as it fit nicely then reassembled the pump and installed it. I tried it in the shop and there is a noticeable difference in the feel already I'm looking forward to road testing it if the rain ever stops in Eastern Ontario Hopefully before a 1/4Mi track day this Sat.

Sorry no pics as usual I never think of them while I get task in hand.