News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

which heads should I use 246 or 516

Started by troy.70R/T, June 02, 2014, 07:05:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

troy.70R/T

I have two different 383 engines that I could put in my 68 Charger. one is a 65 383 with 516 closed chamber heads. the other is a 67 383 with open chamber 246 heads. the 65 engine has flat top dished pistons in it. Would that have been right for a 65 engine????? I can measure the bore this weekend to see if it has ever bee bored out. I do not have the heads off the 67 motor yet. I keep reading things that make me think I should use the 246 heads but I was thinking the 516's should give me more power. Any thoughts?????

troy.70R/T

A383Wing

the 346 heads are not 67 heads....either head will work fine...you will not notice any significant increase in power with either head with yer butt-o-meter

the 65 383 should have flat top pistons if it was a 4bbl motor originally

the 516 heads were on 383's up to 68 when they went to the 906 castings

Cooter

Whichever engines pistons at TDC, measured with dial indicator, measures the LESSER in the hole..put the "516" heads on that engine. but make sure you open up the exhaust valves to the larger 1.740 of the "346" open chamber heads.

There will be a noticeable difference swap for swap due to .5 point of compression if used with STEEL SHIM head gaskets, but nothing like 30hp.
" I have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours researching what works and what doesn't and I'm willing to share"

troy.70R/T

Thanks for your thoughts guys. Cooter as far as doing any machine work to the heads I don't want to put to much $$$ into it I just want the best stuff of the 2 engines. I want to build a 440 but just want to get it running and thought I would try to built the best motor with the parts from each other. I will measure and see which engine the piston comes up closer to the top in. I would imagine the smaller exhaust valve will hurt me on the top end right?

Cooter

You just think your not gonna put much money in those heads. I venture to bet they need guides and hardened seats anyway. Might as well get em set up now.
" I have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours researching what works and what doesn't and I'm willing to share"

troy.70R/T

Well I am going to get aluminum heads for the 440. There is nothing wrong with any of the heads. Both engines ran when I pulled them. but the 65 383 was pulled years ago and I just pulled the 67 383 a few weeks ago but it did not turn out to have the 915 heads on it so I thought I would see what heads were on the 65. I already feel bad enough putting a 383 in an R/T Charger but its all I have that runs and I am probably 5 years away from starting a resto. I just want to figure out of all the 383 stuff I have which would be the best to put onto one engine. I have a new purple shaft camshaft that I bought for my 70 R/T years ago that I thought about putting in it but I cant remember the specs on it  :shruggy: I think it was like 284 duration or 484 lift??? I cant remember but I thought if the cam in eithier motor looked questionable I would swap the cam out too. Like I said just trying to use up some of my better stuff rather that keep tripping over it all the time. And learn a little before I build my next 440 which will be no wheres near stock. :2thumbs: 

A383Wing

don't put that purple cam in the 383..you won't like it....it's not all that great for a daily driven street car...especially if you have power brakes

troy.70R/T

Ha I wish the car had power breaks.This is a low option Charger. Heck I am surprised it has a radio.

cudaken

Bryan (A383 Wing) my self I loved the 284 / 484 cam in my 68 Road Runner.  :scratchchin: But I have all wise been some what hard core.  :D

Ken
I am back

troy.70R/T

I have a similar (stock replacement) in my 70 440 4 -speed that I am ok with as well but do wish I had went bigger. I could always us a auxillary vaccum supply if I had power breaks. I wish I knew what the 65 motor had for a cam.

cudaken

Tory, there are better cams now than the old Hemi 284/284/484/484 cam. But even when in street mode the Hemi cam made me happy. Really, I cannot say a bad thing about it even with Sure Grip 3.23 and stock Road Runner converter. If you have one all ready give it a try. :shruggy:

On the heads, I have used worked 346 heads, but they where heavily worked. My self in it is in the budget bite the bullet and buy fresh heads! You all ready know you will need them down the road. I my 346's where fresh with all the hard parts replaced. My the time I had bigger valves, 3 angel valve job and port work total cost was $750.00 say 15 years ago. Eddie Heads where not made back then or I would have spent the extra funds.

Cuda Ken
I am back

BSB67

You have a bunch of used/wore out parts.  There is no telling what parts combo would work best.  Combining the parts to give you the highest CR may be the junkiest part you have netting nothing or worse.  If you have one that runs, put it in the car and save your money.

500" NA, Eddy head, pump gas, exhaust manifold with 2 1/2 exhaust with tailpipes
4150 lbs with driver, 3.23 gear, stock converter
11.68 @ 120.2 mph

A383Wing

yea..you got 2 used engines...put the one in that runs the best and put yer money elsewhere...and don't use that purple cam, you won't like it for a daily driver