News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

What Gear Oil do you use for your A-833?

Started by metallicareload99, September 11, 2006, 05:04:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

metallicareload99

Hello, I was wondering what people with 4-Speeds are using as gear lube?  Hopefully I will be putting in my 18-spline 4-gear pretty soon.  It was bought rebuilt from Brewer's Performance and it had a tag that specifically said "Do not use synthetic oil".  The car it is going into is a 1968 street car mainly and I believe the transmission is also a 68 and may have been rebuilt to 1968 specifications.  What does everyone run and how much will I need  (what's the "best", brand, weight, synthetic or non-synthetic)?  Thanks for any info
1968, When Dinosaurs Ruled The Earth

John_Kunkel

I've used Redline 75W-90NS synthetic in several 833's and it's performed better for me than any dino gear lube.
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

Chryco Psycho

I have alos used Mopar synthetic manual trans lube
you will need 4 qts , 85-90 dino works too

metallicareload99

Thanks John and Neil, that clears up any issues I had.  One more question, should I use Lock-Tite when bolting the flywheel to the crank, or the pressure plate to the flywheel?  Thanks again for the help

John_Kunkel

I use Loc-Tite on the flywheel to crank bolts but not the pressure plate bolts. No reason not to though.

Chryco Psycho

metallicareload99

metallicareload99

Quote from: John_Kunkel on September 11, 2006, 05:14:43 PM
I've used Redline 75W-90NS synthetic in several 833's and it's performed better for me than any dino gear lube.

http://www.redlineoil.com/product.aspx?pid=47&pcid=7

I'm going to fill my transmission with Redline synthetic fluid.  I will likely go with the 75W-90NS, but I am wondering if there is a reason to use that versus using their MT-90 GL-4 gear oil?

http://www.redlineoil.com/product.aspx?pid=46&pcid=7

Thanks in advance for any information

70redbee

Am I missing something? It took 8 years to install your tranny?

metallicareload99

Quote from: 70redbee on May 15, 2014, 01:21:19 AM
Am I missing something? It took 8 years to install your tranny?

Na, I used Valvoline conventional 80W-90 initially.  Now I'm going to change out the fluid, I couldn't get Redline synthetic back then

oldschool

Quote from: metallicareload99 on May 14, 2014, 04:00:48 AM
Quote from: John_Kunkel on September 11, 2006, 05:14:43 PM

http://www.redlineoil.com/product.aspx?pid=47&pcid=7

I'm going to fill my transmission with Redline synthetic fluid.  I will likely go with the 75W-90NS, but I am wondering if there is a reason to use that versus using their MT-90 GL-4 gear oil?

http://www.redlineoil.com/product.aspx?pid=46&pcid=7

Thanks in advance for any information

why would you do that, when it has a tag that says not too? I would call brewers and ask them if it was ok. I do not use synthetic in any of my 4 speeds. I tried, it made it harder to shift, and sometimes it would grind. it also leaked from every gasket. it all returned to normal, when I switched back to regular gear oil.. :Twocents:
1968 cuda formula S bb 4-sp                          1968 Charger R/T 500" 4-sp
1970 Charger 580" 4-sp
1970 Cuda Convertible 500" 4-sp
1970 Cuda Convertible 500" 4-sp
TOO MUCH HORSEPOWER, IS ALMOST ENOUGH!

Chargerguy74

I'm using redline....but don't remember which one off the top of my head. Have to check.

EDIT: Redline MTL.
WANTED: NOS or excellent condition 72-74 4 speed shifter boot for bench or centre armrest car, part number 3467755. It's a rubber boot that looks like it's sewn up leather.

WANTED: My original 440 blocks. Serial # 2A188182 and 3A100002

A383Wing

I use what the book calls for....140w in both

Troy

I used the stuff I bought from Brewer's with my transmission rebuild. I'll see if I still have the bottle and/or receipt but it would be really easy to just call them.

Troy
Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.

John_Kunkel

Quote from: oldschool on May 15, 2014, 08:36:46 PM
why would you do that, when it has a tag that says not too? I would call brewers and ask them if it was ok.

A lot of people, even the builders, are hung up on the myths surrounding synthetic lubes.

c00nhunterjoe

Ive used dino 80-90, synth 75-140, redlines 75-90, and redlines mt-90. My trans feels the same with all of them. So your guess is as good as mine as to what is the best.