News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

what is super bird specific?

Started by Ryan.C, May 02, 2014, 07:51:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ryan.C

how to tell if a basket case is actually a superbird and not a clone car besides the VIN.
There are few problems in life that cannot be solved with C-4.

Aero426

Steel rear window plug would be one tip off.    The trunk and rad support VIN stampings would be another.    Also the hole in the firewall where the vacuum lines pass through.

CornDogsCharger

First is the obvious... the rear window plug.  You can also look for other smaller things like the little square wing supports that are welded to the trunk extension (or signs of them once being there).  Look for screw holes in the a-pillar where the trim would have gone.  Also... if you do not have a VIN (or if you do), check the radiator support or trunk gutter for the stampings.  The assembly plant should not be anything other than "A" which is Lynch Road.  If you have pictures, post them up.

Justin
"CornDog"
1966 Dodge Charger
1969 Dodge Charger (DMCL Project)
1969 Dodge Charger (WB General Lee "GL#004")
1969 Dodge Super Bee

boss429kiwi

VIN listed in the Superbird NASCAR production list  :shruggy:
NEW ZEALAND (aka Paradise)
1973 De Tomaso Pantera GTS widebody
1970 Superbird, 6pack, 4 speed, Tor-Red, Buckets, restored by Julius
1970 428 Cobra Jet, 4 speed, calypso Coral, white shaker
1970 Boss 429 KK2457, Concours, Calypso Coral (SOLD)
1957 Chevy truck, big rear window, ocean green, STOCK!.....nice!

nascarxx29

1969 R4 Daytona XX29L9B410772
1970 EV2 Superbird RM23UOA174597
1970 FY1 Superbird RM23UOA166242
1970 EV2 Superbird RM23VOA179697
1968 426 Road Runner RM21J8A134509
1970 Coronet RT WS23UOA224126
1970 Daytona Clone XP29GOG178701

Mopar John

Here is a another item to look for:
Look for the wing support washers welded to the trunk gutters under the top of the quarter panels!
MJ

Ryan.C

thanks for tips so far, Ill post pics early next week.
There are few problems in life that cannot be solved with C-4.

Arnie Cunningham

Also look for:
the two holes drilled in the radiator support for the strap that holds the vacuum lines,
the trunk hinge limiting pieces,
holes drilled in the trunk lid for the Road Runner emblems,
lack of holes in the quarter panels where the Road Runner emblems would normally be,
a headlight switch with the vacuum control attached,
modified coronet fenders,
coronet splash shields behind the fenders (someone else please confirm that these were in fact different)
lack of any air grabber equipment,
evidence of welding inside the trunk where the wing supports were attached,
a stud for the scissor jack hold down plate,
I think the hood springs were from a non-road runner application (again, someone with more knowledge please comment)
Brennan R. Cook RM23U0A169492 EV2 Manual Black Buckets Armrest 14" Rallyes
Arnie Cunningham was the Plymouth obsessed youth in the novel/movie Christine.
Brcook.com contains the entire NASCAR shipping list of Superbirds sorted by VIN and a number of other pages dedicated to production information.

62 Max

Hood springs are 21 coil,I "think" others are one coil off but I don't remember which way. Also,splash shields are Coronet,shield is different configuration than RR where it bolts to fender.

rainbow4jd

Quote from: Arnie Cunningham on May 03, 2014, 04:17:38 PM
Also look for:
the two holes drilled in the radiator support for the strap that holds the vacuum lines,
the trunk hinge limiting pieces,
holes drilled in the trunk lid for the Road Runner emblems,
lack of holes in the quarter panels where the Road Runner emblems would normally be,
a headlight switch with the vacuum control attached,
modified coronet fenders,
coronet splash shields behind the fenders (someone else please confirm that these were in fact different)
lack of any air grabber equipment,
evidence of welding inside the trunk where the wing supports were attached,
a stud for the scissor jack hold down plate,
I think the hood springs were from a non-road runner application (again, someone with more knowledge please comment)

Some the holes in the firewall I've never known.... does anyone have pictures of these?

nascarxx29

1 of 2 holes found on the firewall would be for the headlight vac hoses harness.And optional tach
1969 R4 Daytona XX29L9B410772
1970 EV2 Superbird RM23UOA174597
1970 FY1 Superbird RM23UOA166242
1970 EV2 Superbird RM23VOA179697
1968 426 Road Runner RM21J8A134509
1970 Coronet RT WS23UOA224126
1970 Daytona Clone XP29GOG178701

Redbird

The splash guards at the back of the wheel well openings inside the front fenders are Dodge. The Plymouth and Dodge splash guards do not interchange. This is one of the subtle reasons that front end conversions from a Superbird to a Road Runner were likely done very much or at all at a dealership in 1970.

rainbow4jd

Quote from: nascarxx29 on May 03, 2014, 10:21:36 PM
1 of 2 holes found on the firewall would be for the headlight vac hoses harness.And optional tach

why thank you sir!

Mopar John

Another item to look for is two holes drilled into the top of the drivers side frame rail underneath the battery tray for the vacum canister!
MJ