News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Garage organization equipment/storage

Started by hemi68charger, April 17, 2014, 09:31:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

hemi68charger

Hello ya'll...

Looking to tab into ideas ya'll may have on storing and organization products for the garage. My goal is to get as much "stuff" off the ground as possible. I have your typcial family-man stuff; bikes, razors, balls, misc stuff...... I have installed cabinets all the way across one wall and was thinking of hanging organizers as well ( like from Lowes/Home Depot ).. I am thinking of hanging bags or baskets for the balls. The picture below is for an example only... Open to all possibilities.
Troy
'69 Charger Daytona 440 auto 4.10 Dana ( now 426 HEMI )
'70 Superbird 426 Hemi auto: Lindsley Bonneville Salt Flat world record holder (220.2mph)
Houston Mopar Club Connection

sunfire69

I like the look of the slat wall. I checked into it...the hangers are expensive !!!!!!....there is noway I could afford to hang all the stuff I wanted to...I think the cheapest hanger was $7 or $8 and they went up from there.....nice look if you can afford it...just my  :Twocents:

twodko

That wall system or or something similar is the best idea IMO. Cliche for sure but in this case you truly get
what you pay for in terms of product quality, hanger strength and longevity.
My first thought was a wall of base and upper cabinets but you've made that upgrade. Whatever
you decide on I think spending more on a task specific wall system will serve your family better in
the long run.  :Twocents:
FLY NAVY/Marine Corps or take the bus!

Old Moparz

Quote from: sunfire69 on April 17, 2014, 09:35:39 AM
I like the look of the slat wall. I checked into it...the hangers are expensive !!!!!!....there is noway I could afford to hang all the stuff I wanted to...I think the cheapest hanger was $7 or $8 and they went up from there.....nice look if you can afford it...just my  :Twocents:

Same opinion here, it looks & works well, but it isn't cheap. At the beginning of this past winter I measured an area in my basement that was "L" shaped. There was less than 18 feet of wall space & it started to go way over budget quickly. I ended up building a system of my own combining cleats & pegboard.

I have a few photos at home of how it looks that I'll post tonight. Cleats are strong & can be made from plywood, standard 1x pine, or even particle board. I have shelving with cans of paint, hardware & other heavy items all hanging from 1x4's that I ripped with 45° angles.

Here are a few photos I spotted online.....
               Bob               

Going Nowhere In A Hurry

sunfire69

I used those those same hook you have, real sturdy and way cheaper.....I did a whole wall of garden tools for what 2 of the slat wall hooks would have cost....just couldn't afford the others...I like the look of your cleats....very nice

twodko

Nicely done and easily expandable.

The one thing I forgot to mention is securing any hanging or shelf bound items from
falling down.
Here in the PRK it's especially important because of the frequent seismic activity along
the west coast.
FLY NAVY/Marine Corps or take the bus!

green69rt

I've tried to get stuff off of the floor for years with partial success.  I went the cheap route.  Lowes supplied a bunch of misc hooks for ladders, cords etc.  I also bought three of their metal cabinets for small stuff.  Two work bench kits connected with a piece of pre-made formica counter became the work surface.   Finally I didn't have any drawers (been there and didn't like it.)  Everything is in marked bins.

Old Moparz

Here are the pics in my basement that I mentioned in my first post. I only have the one, 8 foot section done & will do the other half of the "L" when time permits. The shelving over the workbench is hung with cleats, gravity does all the work.
               Bob               

Going Nowhere In A Hurry