News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Any Info on the New Ram V6 Diesel ??

Started by 68X426, March 16, 2014, 09:17:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

68X426

Ram and Cummins are ready to introduce the new V6 Eco-Diesel in the 1500s.  All the website says is soon -- early 2014.  Anybody heard any credible info on a date of release?

The 12 Scariest Words in the English Language:
We are Here from The Government and
We Want to Help You.

1968 Plymouth Road Runner, Hemi and much more
2013 Dodge Challenger RT, Hemi, Plum Crazy
2014 Ram 4x4 Hemi, Deep Cherry Pearl
1968 Dodge Charger, 318, not much else
1958 Dodge Pick Up, 383, loud
1966 Dodge Van, /6, slow

twodko

First I've heard about it........googling......
FLY NAVY/Marine Corps or take the bus!

68X426

http://www.ramtrucks.com/en/ecodiesel/

420 feet torque and 21-28 mpg.  9200 pound towing capacity in the 1500.  Should be a game changer.  But the price?

I'm ready to buy a used Ram (Hemi) but best to wait to see if this Cummins V6 is the real deal.  But can't wait forever.

We Want to Help You.

1966 Dodge Van, /6, slow

twodko

I'd sure like to drive one.

I've had my 2009 Ram 1500 hemi now for a couple months and its one
of my best vehicle purchases ever. It's a great plush truck and hauls ass.......and me too.  :lol:

You don't buy a hemi Ram for its gas mileage for sure but all the Pious drivers have saved
a lot of gas for me to burn. :nana:
FLY NAVY/Marine Corps or take the bus!

JB400

Last I read on Allpar, they're currently being built.  You might want to talk with your local dealer.  It could be that just select dealers are getting them at the moment.

Charger-Bodie

The local RAM dealer told me the other day that they are behind In production and will only build trucks on a sold order.
68 Charger R/t white with black v/t and red tailstripe. 440 4 speed ,black interior
68 383 auto with a/c and power windows. Now 440 4 speed jj1 gold black interior .
My Charger is a hybrid car, it burns gas and rubber............

areibel

Quote from: 68X426 on March 17, 2014, 12:09:11 AM

420 feet torque and 21-28 mpg.  9200 pound towing capacity in the 1500.  Should be a game changer.  But the price?

I'm ready to buy a used Ram (Hemi) but best to wait to see if this Cummins V6 is the real deal.  But can't wait forever.

The new V-6 isn't a Cummins motor, I think it's a Fiat or new joint design.  My kid is looking at them, but the price is right up there with the CTD 2500's so far, he's going to hang onto his 99.

Ghoste

Yeah, thats what I thought.  The big Rams were getting the old Cummins and the 1/2 ton gets the Fiat diesel and the little Cummins was going to Nissan now?

bakerhillpins

:popcrn:

The current plan is to be into a 1500 crew cab by end of the year... so we shall see how that all plays out but I am interested in all comments on this.  :yesnod:  I had assumed that the "diesel tax" would make entry not worth it in the long run. Looks like that might be the case.
One great wife (Life is good)
14 RAM 1500 5.7 Hemi Crew Cab (crap hauler)
69 Dodge Charger R/T, Q5, C6X, V1X, V88  (Life is WAY better)
96' VFR750 (Sweet)
Capt. Lyme Vol. Fire

"Inspiration is for amateurs - the rest of us just show up and get to work." -Chuck Close
"The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits." -Albert Einstein
Go that way, really fast. If something gets in your way, turn.
Science flies you to the moon, Religion flies you into buildings.

Mytur Binsdirti

Ten years ago, diesel fuel was 25 cents a gallon cheaper than regular and you would eventually see a slow gradual payback (for the additional vehicle cost) a few years down the road, but now diesel has skyrocketed in price and is currently higher than premium. And yes, the power output of the new Cummins is very, very impressive, but that additional power output has come at the expense of fuel economy. Plus, the diesel option used to be just a few grand over a gas engine, but now a Cummins powered pick up is 60 grand and there is just no payback.

bakerhillpins

Quote from: Mytur Binsdirti on March 17, 2014, 08:35:34 AM
Ten years ago, diesel fuel was 25 cents a gallon cheaper than regular and you would eventually see a slow gradual payback (for the additional vehicle cost) a few years down the road, but now diesel has skyrocketed in price and is currently higher than premium. And yes, the power output of the new Cummins is very, very impressive, but that additional power output has come at the expense of fuel economy. Plus, the diesel option used to be just a few grand over a gas engine, but now a Cummins powered pick up is 60 grand and there is just no payback.

Yea, that's where I was ending up when I did some seat of the pants math on the #s.    :P
One great wife (Life is good)
14 RAM 1500 5.7 Hemi Crew Cab (crap hauler)
69 Dodge Charger R/T, Q5, C6X, V1X, V88  (Life is WAY better)
96' VFR750 (Sweet)
Capt. Lyme Vol. Fire

"Inspiration is for amateurs - the rest of us just show up and get to work." -Chuck Close
"The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits." -Albert Einstein
Go that way, really fast. If something gets in your way, turn.
Science flies you to the moon, Religion flies you into buildings.

areibel

Fuel economy or heavy towing would be the only reason to invest the big bucks in a Cummins.  My son's 2500 4wd extended cab w/ 8 foot bed has consistently pulled down 17-20 MPG just driving to work and back (16 miles round trip).  That beats my 02 Dak with a 3.9!  And it'll pull a 22 foot gooseneck up any hill you want at 12-14 mpg or so,  a friend with an 08 Hemi gets about 7 in the same service.  But he got a price of almost $45K for a new V-6, he could have a base 2500 with a Cummins for about $5k more (he says he tired of driving an aircraft carrier!).
He's got the dreaded "53" block in his, it's been fixed once but he's probably going to re-block it and drive it.

dyslexic teddybear

Long time Cummins guy.

Lotta mile Cummins guy.

How you use it IS a big factor in payback. But....there's more to it then just the numbers. Big difference in feel between diesel and gas. There's a "quality" to towing/heavy loads with a Cummins.

Less depreciation/higher resale $$$/used demand are also factors. How you use one, and how you like it as you use it.......how important is that to you?

Cummins do tend to be loaded up......and nobody really deals much on them either.

Mpgs......Don't think new ones will do what the older will. My 96[p pump] 5 speed 2500 will do a solid 23. Put 3000lbs in the bed, drops less then 1 mpg. It's got about 280K on it.....and no plans to go for anything newer.

60K truck? Not for me either.

68X426

Quote from: areibel on March 17, 2014, 07:02:42 AM
Quote from: 68X426 on March 17, 2014, 12:09:11 AM

The new V-6 isn't a Cummins motor, I think it's a Fiat or new joint design.  My kid is looking at them, but the price is right up there with the CTD 2500's so far, he's going to hang onto his 99.

I kept poking around the interweb and found that, yes indeed, this motor is NOT a Cummins.  I swear I read somewhere that it would be.  NOT a Cummins.

It is a motor from VM Motori, a longtime Italian marine-diesel-engine builder and former affiliate of Fiat.  Ownership of VT Motori is now, interestingly enough, split 50/50 between Chrysler/Fiat and General Motors.  Yes, GM.  There was a note that a version of the EcoDiesel was originally developed for use in the Cadillac CTS.

Easy to assume that Fiat would be buying out GM at some point.

Car and Driver raved about it in a test, and added that it would be $2850 more than the Hemi, and likely be available in the Big Horn models and up.  So the price is going to be 50k and more. Gulp.

We Want to Help You.

1966 Dodge Van, /6, slow

dyslexic teddybear

My understanding is Cummins owned at one time a large share in VM, and has a lot to do with the design. Seen oil-pan view pics......looks pretty rugged. Looks a bit like a Cummins. There's been a lot about this on Allpar. Nothing definite on how many can be made. When ordering opened, 8000 units sold out in 3 days. No definite answer if that's all for the year, or if VM can even produce more.