News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Hood insulation clips

Started by twodko, March 14, 2014, 06:13:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

twodko

What color are the hood insulation clips? Gloss black? Trim black? Agent silverish?
FLY NAVY/Marine Corps or take the bus!

ODZKing

All the metal ones I've ever seen, even the rusty ones have black on them somewhere.
gloss or satin is a good question.

twodko

Yeah, as I recall when I pulled them in 2009 they were kinda black.......not rusty though.
I'm ordering a new molded hood insulation pad and one clip from Dante's Monday.
I guess I'll find when I receive them.

I ran the 21 I have over a wire wheel today and shot them with some trim black.
They will either be good to go or ready for repaint.

bill440rt

The metal clips aren't painted, but phosphate plated. Blackish in color.
Sometime in the early '70's they switched to black plastic clips, I think it might have been '71/'72.
"Strive for perfection in everything. Take the best that exists and make it better. If it doesn't exist, create it. Accept nothing nearly right or good enough." Sir Henry Rolls Royce

ODZKing

Yes, 71 was the last year for metal.

69bfan

If buying new clips, be aware that most of the reproduction clips do not fit that well.  The pin area that pushes up into the hole inside of the hood is a bit too large and as you push them up into the hole, you can end up breaking the hood pad or the pins will pop out as they do not properly sit into the hole.  One of the vendors was going to start reproducing a better fitting clip, but I have not heard of that coming to  the market.  Your best bet is to look for good used ones that can be bead blasted and then replated in a black phosphate.  Unfortunately you will have more in the clips than you will in the hood pad.
Restoration Parts and Materials
Weatherstripping is our specialty, but we stock a wide assortment of restoration needs.
www.restorationpartsandmaterials.com

bill440rt

Good to know. I have a bunch of NOS metal ones. Probably enough to do at least one pad.
Let me know if you need some.
"Strive for perfection in everything. Take the best that exists and make it better. If it doesn't exist, create it. Accept nothing nearly right or good enough." Sir Henry Rolls Royce

twodko

I should be OK. I'm buying the pad and one clip from Dante's. I have the other 21 OEM clips. During the years
I have enjoyed my DC.com membership I can not recall one disparaging remark about any part Dante's sells.
When I get the clip I'll have a close look-see at it compared to the OEM clips.

My options are to use only the 21 OEM clips I have, take a chance and use the one new clip I get from Dante's along the pad edge closest to the firewall or buy another from one of you guys.

I'll post up a picture of both clips when my Dante's order arrives. We'll see what we see yeah?

maxwellwedge

Quote from: 69bfan on March 15, 2014, 09:37:59 PM
If buying new clips, be aware that most of the reproduction clips do not fit that well.  The pin area that pushes up into the hole inside of the hood is a bit too large and as you push them up into the hole, you can end up breaking the hood pad or the pins will pop out as they do not properly sit into the hole.  One of the vendors was going to start reproducing a better fitting clip, but I have not heard of that coming to  the market.  Your best bet is to look for good used ones that can be bead blasted and then replated in a black phosphate.  Unfortunately you will have more in the clips than you will in the hood pad.

Yes - The repops are complete junk. Wear eye protection when installing! I had one fly off and almost kill the neighbors dog!   :lol:

resq302

Yup, I can agree to the flying clip part.  Not the easiest to put in on the rear part of the hood as you need something to really whack the repro's in there.  Was not a fun time with our GTX.
Brian
1969 Dodge Charger (factory 4 speed, H code 383 engine,  AACA Senior winner, 2008 Concours d'Elegance participant, 2009 Concours d'Elegance award winner)
1970 Challenger Convert. factory #'s matching red inter. w/ white body.  318 car built 9/28/69 (AACA Senior winner)
1969 Plymough GTX convertible - original sheet metal, #'s matching drivetrain, T3 Honey Bronze, 1 of 701 produced, 1 of 362 with 440 4 bbl - auto

twodko

I choose to but my hood insulation from a west coast source. The shipping from Dante's was $55! That's over half
the price of the part. Granted it's an over size parcel and shipped across country but $55? No

I bought the same molded insulation from Classic Industries MOPAR catalog for $89 vs $94 and the shipping
is $39.

I still need one clip though.

resq302

Yeh, thats why we tend to get larger items like that from him at local shows like either Carlisle or Mopars at E-town.
Brian
1969 Dodge Charger (factory 4 speed, H code 383 engine,  AACA Senior winner, 2008 Concours d'Elegance participant, 2009 Concours d'Elegance award winner)
1970 Challenger Convert. factory #'s matching red inter. w/ white body.  318 car built 9/28/69 (AACA Senior winner)
1969 Plymough GTX convertible - original sheet metal, #'s matching drivetrain, T3 Honey Bronze, 1 of 701 produced, 1 of 362 with 440 4 bbl - auto

twodko

Really seems like a good guy and he's a pleasure to talk with on the phone.

resq302

Dante is definitely one of the good vendors for sure.  Unfortunately, some things like that and the package tray have to be shipped over sized which ends up not being worth the shipping costs.
Brian

twodko

cdr

i have a bunch of the clips off my 68,i wont be using them,if you need one PM your address to me & i'll send you one.
LINK TO MY STORY http://www.onallcylinders.com/2015/11/16/ride-shares-charlie-keel-battles-cancer-ms-to-build-brilliant-1968-dodge-charger/  

68 Charger 512 cid,9.7to1,Hilborn EFI,Home ported 440 source heads,small hyd roller cam,COLD A/C ,,a518 trans,Dana 60 ,4.10 gear,10.93 et,4100lbs on street tires full exhaust daily driver
Charger55 by Charlie Keel, on Flickr

twodko

twodko

GOOD GUY ALERT!

CDR just sent me 3 hood insulation clips. Thank you Charlie.  :cheers:

cdr

LINK TO MY STORY http://www.onallcylinders.com/2015/11/16/ride-shares-charlie-keel-battles-cancer-ms-to-build-brilliant-1968-dodge-charger/  

68 Charger 512 cid,9.7to1,Hilborn EFI,Home ported 440 source heads,small hyd roller cam,COLD A/C ,,a518 trans,Dana 60 ,4.10 gear,10.93 et,4100lbs on street tires full exhaust daily driver
Charger55 by Charlie Keel, on Flickr