News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Chrysler Crushing Vipers

Started by JB400, March 06, 2014, 12:56:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

odcics2

Quote from: Cooter on March 07, 2014, 12:52:05 AM
Heard a few dumbass kids took one out for a spin, wrecked it, and Chrysler decided no cars, no liability.
as with anything in this world, only takes a few bad apples to f*ck up the whole bunch.

Cooter, you need better sources of information!   :cheers:

Chrysler issued an official response: "Approximately 10 years ago, Chrysler Group donated a number of Dodge Viper vehicles to various trade schools for educational purposes.  As part of the donation process, it is standard procedure — and stipulated in our agreements — that whenever vehicles are donated to institutions for education purposes that they are to be destroyed when they are no longer needed for their intended educational purposes. With advancements in automotive technology over the past decade, it is unlikely that these vehicles offer any educational value to students. Chrysler Group fully understands and appreciates the historical significance of the Viper and is very active in preserving many of its legendary models and designs for historic purposes however, none of these vehicles fit into this category.

"Chrysler Group has no record of any legal proceedings involving Dodge Viper vehicles donated to educational institutions being involved in accidents and product liability lawsuits."  

I've never owned anything but a MoPar. Can you say that?

Ghoste

Thanks odcics for setting the record straight on this one.  :cheers:

DadsCharger00

in hindsight though is it possible that this policy be rethought out? It doesn't seem to make sense to destroy a piece of automotive history because of a contract submitted back in 1993?

Cooter

"It's just another newer car."
" I have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours researching what works and what doesn't and I'm willing to share"

odcics2

Quote from: DadsCharger00 on March 07, 2014, 10:58:44 PM
in hindsight though is it possible that this policy be rethought out? It doesn't seem to make sense to destroy a piece of automotive history because of a contract submitted back in 1993?

A contract is a contract.    Can you decide to not pay your mortgage 20 years into it because the rate was high?  No, you'd have to re-negotiate it.   
I've never owned anything but a MoPar. Can you say that?

Ghoste

Or what if the schools had decided to sell them and keep the profit?

stripedelete

Real good possibility the tax benefit associated with the program was realized some time ago and selling the vehicles may reverse that. :shruggy:

TexasGeneral

Quote from: JB400 on March 06, 2014, 06:13:15 PM
Here's another article with a video of one being mercilessly destroyed by a trackhoe :icon_smile_dissapprove:

http://motorsportstalk.nbcsports.com/2014/03/06/chrysler-orders-nearly-100-pristine-dodge-vipers-destroyed/#comments

The only thing more sad than the crushing of the viper was the excavator operators skills  :nana: