News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Best place to get stock calipers?

Started by Matthan, January 29, 2014, 04:51:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Matthan

I need to change front calipers on my 69 charger. It came with front power disc brakes from the factory. Can someone point me in the right direction?

green69rt

Quote from: Matthan on January 29, 2014, 04:51:17 PM
I need to change front calipers on my 69 charger. It came with front power disc brakes from the factory. Can someone point me in the right direction?

You might try this guy as a start.  If you can't find what you need on the website just give him a call.

http://www.doctordiff.com/

And this site might help but I don't know if they sell individual parts.

http://www.mpbrakes.com/accessories

Al

Quote from: Matthan on January 29, 2014, 04:51:17 PM

You'll find it here:

www.rockauto.com

A-1 CARDONE Part # 184473   
1968 Dodge Charger, 383, UU1

ACUDANUT

Lord Warlock

Good to hear the calipers are still available, the set i had got hoping to put on turned out to have gone bad or waited too long before installing, so gonna order a set of calipers tomorrow. 
69 RT/SE Y3 cream yellow w/tan vinyl top and black r/t stripe. non matching 440/375, 3:23, Column shift auto w/buddy seat, tan interior, am/fm w/fr to back fade, Now wears 17" magnum 500 rims and Nitto tires. Fresh repaint, new interior, new wheels and tires.

Ghoste

They list them but don't be surprised if they don't have them.

Lord Warlock

Went to O'rielly's and ordered a pair of them, they should be in on Friday.  I took my other set of calipers that had already been rebuilt but it was done over 5 years ago so i had them inspected by a shop and they said not to use them, said they were in poor shape even though they looked nice externally.  Hope this set is in better shape.  I may end up cannibalizing the pucks and seals on those and hold on to them when I decide to have the original brakes redone, they are on a shelf and pretty rusty looking, but can't be worse than the last pair i got.  Figure i can sandblast or soda blast them clean then have them rebuilt.
69 RT/SE Y3 cream yellow w/tan vinyl top and black r/t stripe. non matching 440/375, 3:23, Column shift auto w/buddy seat, tan interior, am/fm w/fr to back fade, Now wears 17" magnum 500 rims and Nitto tires. Fresh repaint, new interior, new wheels and tires.

Ghoste

ACUDANUT

Mopar Nut

Quote from: Lord Warlock on February 19, 2014, 03:21:19 PM
Went to O'rielly's and ordered a pair of them, they should be in on Friday.  I took my other set of calipers that had already been rebuilt but it was done over 5 years ago so i had them inspected by a shop and they said not to use them, said they were in poor shape even though they looked nice externally.  Hope this set is in better shape.  I may end up cannibalizing the pucks and seals on those and hold on to them when I decide to have the original brakes redone, they are on a shelf and pretty rusty looking, but can't be worse than the last pair i got.  Figure i can sandblast or soda blast them clean then have them rebuilt.
Did they come with a limited lifetime warranty?
"Dear God, my prayer for 2024 is a fat bank account and a thin body. Please don't mix these up like you did the last ten years."

Lord Warlock

don't know, don't put much stock into any type of warranty anyway, as long as they work as purposed when i put them on i'm pretty happy with whatever i picked out.  Won't hurt to ask them when i pick them up on Friday what the warranty is. 

Lord Warlock

Picked up the calipers today (cardone) from O'rielly's and here's the take on them.  

1st off, asked about the warranty, and they are lifetime warranty units....however...

they are remanufactured, but look very similar or identical to the stock calipers, the only exception I've found so far are:
1.  the two end bolts holding the halves together do not have tapped ends so without some fudge work we won't be able to use the stock hose bracket that attaches to the brake line which bolts to the caliper.  The previous set i have have the correct bolts on them but are next to impossible to remove and swap out with the new ones, and I imagine that anyone who unbolts the ends of the new calipers would void the lifetime warranty.  So far I've just attempted to remove the bolts off of the old brakes i have, if i can't get them out, the car will just be free swinging on the brake lines.

2.  Both of the brakes delivered were the same part, therefore you/we will have to swap out the bleeder screw to the opposite side hole to make it fit properly with the bleeder valve on top of each caliper.

3.  The color of these units is bright silver, not the gunmetal grey color.  For a restoration job, i'd have to repaint the surface of the new ones to a darker more subdued tone, i have the paint for it, but personally like the shiny silver for now.  Provided they work  ok.  

4.  I have not test fitted them to the YearOne rotors yet, have a new set of pads, so hope i can get them over the rotor but we'll see tomorrow afternoon. 

Tomorrow I'll jack the front end up and pull the wheels off and attempt to put these units on, would prefer to use the hose bracket on the caliper to hold off on flexing the brake line itself, but I'm not going to put off the brake job any longer, it has to be done, it can't wait any longer.  

panhead

This will be good to know, as I have the exact same set up as you. I'm a ways from setting mine up. I'm planning on drilling and tapping the outer bolts to fit the bracket in place. Any guidance will be helpfully.

Curt
69' Dodge Charger 500
69' Dodge Daytona "Replica"

Lord Warlock

Brakes went on without a hitch Saturday, still have to bleed the entire system, but I'll get to that soon enough, a few other things to do first.  But it finally has 4 new brakes installed.  Have to hook up the ebrake on the drivers rear, but that's going to wait also.  Have to finish minor paint touch ups wetsanding, then tighten the hood down and adjusted properly to close.  Then i get to buff the paint, provided i don't burn through anywhere I'll be closer to being finished.