News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

distributor drive shaft installation

Started by fireguyfire, February 28, 2014, 01:55:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fireguyfire

Getting ready to fire my fully rebuilt 383 in my 68, and today I primed the engine. I rotated the cam through 2 full revolutions while priming counter clockwise, and I am happy with my prime.
My question is, what is the best way to try and "properly" reinstall the distributor drive shaft; I know on a BB you can have it in anyway and make the wires work to get the timing, but I might as well start the best way possible.
Do I need to have the engine at TDC to reinstall the shaft? If so, is that when the slot in the shaft should be inline with the length of the crankshaft when installed, or pointing at the #1 cylinder?
'66 Coronet 500
'68 Charger
'69 Sweptline Adventurer pickup
'56 Dodge Regent

John_Kunkel

With #1 cylinder at TDC on the compression stroke the slot in the drive gear should point roughly in line with the centerline of the cam/crank.
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

fireguyfire

'66 Coronet 500
'68 Charger
'69 Sweptline Adventurer pickup
'56 Dodge Regent

fy469rtse

John, can you humor me or anyone , it must be age creeping up,
.? Why does it need to be lined up with piston at top dead centre

b5blue

Your orienting the slot for the dizzy for #1 plug.

John_Kunkel

What rtse is saying is that the drive slot will also be in the same orientation if #1 is TDC on the exhaust stroke. I chose the compression stroke expecting that the distributor would be installed next.
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.