News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Rear seat install order issue

Started by sanders7981, March 01, 2014, 05:36:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sanders7981

So I think I have the rear seats put back I correctly, bottom rear first, then top rear.  However, the tabs that the top rear frame align with on the wheel well are not holding it properly.  It's almost as if the bottom seat is pushing up too much on the top frame.  The frame keeps sliding off and is not sitting flush with the package tray.  Anyone else have this issue and what's the solution?   :shruggy:

cdr

the top goes first,there are some metal tabs that hook at the bottom and keep it from moving up.
LINK TO MY STORY http://www.onallcylinders.com/2015/11/16/ride-shares-charlie-keel-battles-cancer-ms-to-build-brilliant-1968-dodge-charger/  

68 Charger 512 cid,9.7to1,Hilborn EFI,Home ported 440 source heads,small hyd roller cam,COLD A/C ,,a518 trans,Dana 60 ,4.10 gear,10.93 et,4100lbs on street tires full exhaust daily driver
Charger55 by Charlie Keel, on Flickr

sanders7981

Quote from: cdr on March 01, 2014, 06:45:23 PM
the top goes first,there are some metal tabs that hook at the bottom and keep it from moving up.

I got that part... The issue is that the tabs don't stay put/ inside the frame piece.  I may just have to crawl into the trunk and figure out a way to keep it from popping out. 

jaak

Quote from: sanders7981 on March 01, 2014, 05:36:55 PM
So I think I have the rear seats put back I correctly, bottom rear first, then top rear.  However, the tabs that the top rear frame align with on the wheel well are not holding it properly.  It's almost as if the bottom seat is pushing up too much on the top frame.  The frame keeps sliding off and is not sitting flush with the package tray.  Anyone else have this issue and what's the solution?   :shruggy:

Are you sure the top part is engaging all the way into the tabs? Seems like I remember when putting the rear seats in my 69, it 'popped' out (up) a couple of times, and I had to get rough with it... pound down pretty hard on the rear top of the seat.

Jason

sanders7981

It's engaging the top tabs.  I just need a second set of hands to press down simultaneously.  Maybe that will resolve it. 

Dino

Look at the tabs, if they are not perfectly straight they will not grab all the way so try that first.  Get some pliers and line everything up then try again.  Once the tabs engage you should be able to smack it in place by hitting the top corners of the back seat.  It's a pretty finicky system.  I had a hell of a time getting mine out a few years ago as someone over bent the tab on one side.   :eek2:
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

green69rt

Just to be clear,  there are a pair of hooks that the back seat frame hangs from.  Get those on.  Then there are a pair of tabs that stick out from the wheel wells that fit into loops on the bottom of the back seat frame.   Those are engaged next and then, supposedly bent over to keep the seat back in place.  If the wheel wells have been replaced these tabs may be located wrong.  Also most don't bend the tabs over because eventually they break off, which may mean that the loops slip off and allow the back to ride up.   Now slide the bottom cushion in.  If the bottom has been recovered then maybe the padding is too thick and is pushing the seat back up,  it should fit pretty tight but the tabs should keep the back from riding up.

cdr

Quote from: green69rt on March 02, 2014, 09:30:05 AM
Just to be clear,  there are a pair of hooks that the back seat frame hangs from.  Get those on.  Then there are a pair of tabs that stick out from the wheel wells that fit into loops on the bottom of the back seat frame.   Those are engaged next and then, supposedly bent over to keep the seat back in place.  If the wheel wells have been replaced these tabs may be located wrong.  Also most don't bend the tabs over because eventually they break off, which may mean that the loops slip off and allow the back to ride up.   Now slide the bottom cushion in.  If the bottom has been recovered then maybe the padding is too thick and is pushing the seat back up,  it should fit pretty tight but the tabs should keep the back from riding up.

:2thumbs:
LINK TO MY STORY http://www.onallcylinders.com/2015/11/16/ride-shares-charlie-keel-battles-cancer-ms-to-build-brilliant-1968-dodge-charger/  

68 Charger 512 cid,9.7to1,Hilborn EFI,Home ported 440 source heads,small hyd roller cam,COLD A/C ,,a518 trans,Dana 60 ,4.10 gear,10.93 et,4100lbs on street tires full exhaust daily driver
Charger55 by Charlie Keel, on Flickr

sanders7981

Good info... I'll work on it and see if that resolves the issue.