News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

440 Oil cooler question

Started by 70chargerAZ, February 15, 2014, 12:55:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

70chargerAZ

I'm building a 440-to-543 stroker. I'll leave the bulk of the build's information out of this topic for the moment.

I plan on installing an oil cooler, but have never done really messed with oiling systems before. I'm running an aftermarket, external oiling system by either Milodon or Melling, and had some questions:

1. I've seen oil coolers run off of a filter adapter, is this really the optimal set-up, or is there a better way?
2. Could I run an oil cooler off of the oil pump itself if I have the required fittings installed? (for example: from the oil pan pickup to oil cooler, then from the oil cooler back to the to oil pump?)
3. Does anyone make a kit in either of these configurations?
4. Is there anything I'm missing here?

flyinlow

I have oil filter sandwich mount . AN 12 Russle hoses to a Header style cooler. I don,t have an engine oil temp. gauge, but the laser gauge on the oil filter showed about a 30* drop. I tried An 8 hoses and a Plate cooler at first and it caused a pressure drop. I don,t have a thermostat bypass on the cooler so in the winter I cover most of the cooler. 

70chargerAZ

Thanks for your reply! I'll look into a similar setup and see what I come up with! I think I am going to run a thermostat though...it'll just take more research and design.