News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

OEM leaf springs ---PICS ADDED---

Started by sanders7981, January 18, 2014, 10:23:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sanders7981

I have the original springs off my car, don't need them and was thinking of selling.  They are are not flattened and worn out.  Are they of any value, and what would a fair price be?  I was thinking around $100 for the pair plus shipping.

Moparparts

Someone who is doing a #'s resto may be interested but shipping is a killer on leaf springs. The big companies get a huge discount on shipping so there shipping is much cheaper on new ones GLWS

sanders7981

I kind of figured that myself, shipping always kills most deals. For something like this I would use greyhound to save as much for the buyer as I could.  Maybe they sale, or maybe I just scrap them. 

hemihead

No offense meant but why would you even sell springs to someone else when you state yourself that they are flattened and worn out ?
Lots of people talkin' , few of them know
Soul of a woman was created below
  Led Zeppelin

Ghoste

Someone with none and no money either?  (of course the shipping negates that)

Dino

You could take them to a show where someone may have a use for them but personally I wouldn't pay a dime for used and flattened leafs.  I just don't see the point.
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

Ghoste

Nor I, it isn`t a great deal more for new ones but trying play devils advocate.  Somebody may have an ideal use for them.

Troy

If they aren't pitted and the numbers are visible someone needing a set for a numbers restoration could have them rearched. If they're badly pitted I don't see why anyone would want/need them. Old springs are good for making "body slappers" (basically a heavy, wide, slightly curved tool for straightening large areas of sheet metal).

Troy
Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.

sanders7981

Quote from: hemihead on January 19, 2014, 08:50:39 AM
No offense meant but why would you even sell springs to someone else when you state yourself that they are flattened and worn out ?

Sorry, that was was typo on my ipad... Spell auto correct check got me.  They are not flattened or worn out. 

66FBCharger

What are the springs? What year, what number is stamped into the leaves?
'69 Charger R/T 440 4 speed T5, '70 Road Runner 440+6 4 speed, '73 'Cuda 340 4 speed, '66 Charger 383 Auto
SOLD!:'69 Charger R/T S.E. 440 4 speed 3.54 Dana rolling body

sanders7981

They are from my 1969 SE Charger, 2539212 is stamped on both of them.  One of the leave packs has the extra leaf in it. 

Ghoste

Where are they stamped at?

66FBCharger

The ones I have seen are usually stamped on the front portion of the lower leaf.
'69 Charger R/T 440 4 speed T5, '70 Road Runner 440+6 4 speed, '73 'Cuda 340 4 speed, '66 Charger 383 Auto
SOLD!:'69 Charger R/T S.E. 440 4 speed 3.54 Dana rolling body

Ghoste

I should have been more clear, I wanted to know where the OP was finding that stamp. ;) (and that is where the part number is- there is another number on the upper center area)

sanders7981

I got those numbers off the bottom of the leaf packs, toward the front I think.  I am away from home this week, so I can't double check again til Friday. 

HeavyFuel

Quote from: sanders7981 on January 19, 2014, 10:35:14 PM
They are from my 1969 SE Charger, 2539212 is stamped on both of them.  One of the leave packs has the extra leaf in it.  

Shouldn't the springs have different part #'s, if one has an extra leaf?   :scratchchin:

My '68's do.

(maybe what I've got highlighted in the pics aren't the part numbers...just thought I'd post them)

Ghoste

John L

Quote from: HeavyFuel on February 13, 2014, 05:23:13 PM
They are from my 1969 SE Charger, 2539212 is stamped on both of them.  One of the leave packs has the extra leaf in it.  

Shouldn't the springs have different part #'s, if one has an extra leaf?

(maybe what I've got highlighted in the pics aren't the part numbers...just thought I'd post them)

Yes they should have 2 different part numbers. The springs on my 70 RT have 2 different PN's and are original to the car, passenger side has 2 additional leaves.

bill440rt

Someone doing a numbers resto would be interested in those if they're not pitted.
One man's junk...
"Strive for perfection in everything. Take the best that exists and make it better. If it doesn't exist, create it. Accept nothing nearly right or good enough." Sir Henry Rolls Royce

sanders7981

Quote from: HeavyFuel on February 13, 2014, 05:23:13 PM

Shouldn't the springs have different part #'s, if one has an extra leaf?   :scratchchin:

My '68's do.

My mistake... They are exactly the same number of leafs, and same stamped number.  My replacement set had an extra leaf in them. 

bill440rt

Base model Chargers did not have the extra leaves in the one spring. Both springs had the same number of leaves.
"Strive for perfection in everything. Take the best that exists and make it better. If it doesn't exist, create it. Accept nothing nearly right or good enough." Sir Henry Rolls Royce