News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

U joints

Started by 66FBCharger, February 03, 2014, 11:50:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

66FBCharger

Do you have a preference for what brand you put in your driveshaft? Do you use greasable or non greasable?
'69 Charger R/T 440 4 speed T5, '70 Road Runner 440+6 4 speed, '73 'Cuda 340 4 speed, '66 Charger 383 Auto
SOLD!:'69 Charger R/T S.E. 440 4 speed 3.54 Dana rolling body

toocheaptosmoke

IMO it's hard to go wrong with Spicer.  As for greaseable vs. non, in a car driveshaft application I would probably go with non-greasable.   There is some debate over the strength of a u-joint with a grease fitting in the center of the cross, it can become a stress riser and point for failure depending on the design of the u-joint.  Another issue with greasable u-joints is the type of seal on the caps, they are generally not sealed as "tight" as a non-greasable unit.  This requires greaseable joints to actually be serviced on a regular basis, (most don't) and can cause premature failure.   On my 4x4 rigs that may see water immersion, I prefer a greasable joint to purge out any contaminents.  On a road car that hopefully never sees those conditions, regular sealed u-joints should be fine for years.

Dino

I grenaded mine a while ago, a Precision greasable which btw didn't fit without mods.  When this happened, all they had locally was another Precision brand without fitting so I gave it a shot.  Fit like a glove and so far so good on a street car.  Have to agree with toocheap though, can't go wrong with a non greasable Spicer.
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.