News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

First burn out today...

Started by 1974dodgecharger, January 14, 2014, 09:20:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lloyd3

Burnouts and musclecars go hand-in-hand, so I'm a little surprised by your response to this situation.  But, if it's not your habit to push these cars very hard, then I guess I could be convinced.  I've also had a few surprises in my cars over the years.  Just this last Summer, early in September, not long after getting my car back, I drove it to work to show it to a couple of folks I know near there. On the way home, I swung by my barber to show him the car too (he's only been hearing me whine about it for 5-years now). He was working on a client as I spoke to him from the sidewalk through his open glass front door. He made the usual host of compliments and affirmations, and then he made a crack about how "old and hard the tires must be after all that time".  My response was to climb back in the idling car, pick up revs (just a bit agressively) before dumping the clutch to get the requisite "chirp" upon launch. Now, maybe I'm a bit rusty and maybe my reflexes aren't as nimble as they once were, maybe the crappy asphault there was a bit hot and tar-covered, and maybe my tires are indeed getting aged and hard, but whatever the reason....what I got wasn't a "chirp".  The car acted like it was on ice and broke completely loose, even crossing-up a bit. Thankfully, even with fairly heavy traffic approaching, I had lots of room to move around as I merged back onto Broadway with both tires fully wreathed in smoke. Force of habit kicked in and I hammered second without even thinking about it and we just kept spinning.  About halfway up the block everything hooked up again and I stopped for the redlight. Now, I'm old enough to know better and this isn't how I normally drive my car, so very-much like you, I was a bit shaken up.  Grinning ear-to-ear, but still a bit alarmed, I at-least had the presence of mind to turn off of the road and get down a sidestreet and pull myself together, because not two blocks later I had an Englewood PD cruser right on my back bumper. I let him follow me for a bit, then I turned quickly into a VA hospital parking lot. He just kept going.  

I saw my barber about a week later and I apologised for all the drama, explaining that it hadn't been what I had intended.  He just smiled and asked me when was I going to "bring your car back down again?"

6pkrtse

Both ends of my subdivision have businesses on the corners & are closed on the weekends or later in the evenings. There have been a multiple of times when entering off of the main roads from a slow roll my Charger's accelerator pedal somehow accidently gets stuck to the floor...... Funny thing is I had three side by side about 6-10" over from the other marks. It looks like a big tire Pro Steet car did them but the are three or four of my burnouts & they all follow the same "S" pattern & look like one big tire.
Most of my buddies see all of the marks when the come over & have asked if they were mine. LOL. I have no idea what they are talking about.
1963 Belvedere 413 Max Wedge
1970 Charger R/T S.E. 440 sixpack.
1970 Challenger R/T Drag Radial 528 Hemi
1970 Charger 500 S.E. 440 4 BBL
1970 Road Runner 383 4 BBL
1974 Chrysler New Yorker 440 4 BBL
1996 Dodge Ram 2500 V-10 488 cu in.
2004 Dodge Ram 3500 CTD Dually 6x6
2012 Challenger R/T Classic

moparsr2fast

If you don't have it sideways in the road smoking both tires, you aren't on the gas hard enough  :icon_smile_big:
Bob

70 Charger 500
     2001 Ram 2500 Sport
        2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee
  2006 Dodge Charger Daytona

1974dodgecharger

Quote from: moparsr2fast on January 17, 2014, 05:06:40 PM
 If you don't have it sideways in the road smoking both tires, you aren't on the gas hard enough  :icon_smile_big:

It was about half like I said I didn't mean for the burnout to happen  :icon_smile_big: it was fun as heck though...it now reminds me of joe dirt scene when he had his Daytona lol.....

Like I said I looked to the left and the old man just looked at me weird and yet I was not really moving just creating smoke lol....

lloyd3

Joe Dirt gets panned regularly, but I must confess...I own a copy of it.  That burnout scene you mention is classic! The 8-track scene in the Porta-potty is priceless as well (if you own a few of those, too).  Growing up in small-town RFD America in the 60s and 70s makes that movie almost a bit too-close for comfort to what I experienced.  I'm not sure I'd admit to even seeing it in polite company.

1974dodgecharger

Between us i also own the copy lol.....love that scene with the Daytona burnout.  :2thumbs:

Ghoste

Hey I like Joe Dirt.  It is exactly what it purports to be.

Sublime/Sixpack

Many years ago I was stationed in Texas while in the military and found that some road surfaces there on a warm/hot sunny day became very slippery! My '68 Dart GTS with 383 and four speed would easy spin the rear tires at will in fourth gear by just rolling on the throttle. At first I couldn't believe how easily the tires broke loose, but then realized it was just that particular road surface on that particular day. My 383 was healthy but not healthy enough to do that same thing on a surface with normal traction.

Have you since tried to light up your tires to see if it was just a fluke?

And could it be that the old guy was shaking his head at you out of disgust. :shruggy: A lot of people now days are becoming more and more conscious about keeping the air clean. They don't appreciate the smoky burnouts at all.

Either way it sounds as though you got quite the rush that day.
1970 Sublime R/T, 440 Six Pack, Four speed, Super Track Pak

don duick

I put a new motor in mine, a mild 440  and was expecting some serious tyre frying but to my disappointment nothing. I had BF Goodrich G Force tyres sometimes they broke traction but would not make much noise and also kept the car in a reasonably straight line.  Then I tried a pair of old tyres big difference they really smoked up made a hell of a noise and the car was all over the place man this is fun. I only do this on a quiet street with nobody around. 

1974dodgecharger

Can we pretend that it was becuase my 383/4 speed was so poweful that she spun the tires and let me have my enjoyment  :nana: :icon_smile_big:

Quote from: Sublime/Sixpack on January 18, 2014, 11:20:22 AM
Many years ago I was stationed in Texas while in the military and found that some road surfaces there on a warm/hot sunny day became very slippery! My '68 Dart GTS with 383 and four speed would easy spin the rear tires at will in fourth gear by just rolling on the throttle. At first I couldn't believe how easily the tires broke loose, but then realized it was just that particular road surface on that particular day. My 383 was healthy but not healthy enough to do that same thing on a surface with normal traction.

Have you since tried to light up your tires to see if it was just a fluke?

And could it be that the old guy was shaking his head at you out of disgust. :shruggy: A lot of people now days are becoming more and more conscious about keeping the air clean. They don't appreciate the smoky burnouts at all.

Either way it sounds as though you got quite the rush that day.

Paul G

Quote from: 1974dodgecharger on January 14, 2014, 09:20:12 PM

man I did not think that a sub 300 HP power vehicle could that with 4000lbs....

Might have to rethink that.  :icon_smile_tongue:
1972 Charger Topper Special, 360ci, 46RH OD trans, 8 3/4 sure grip with 3.91 gear, 14.93@92 mph.
1973 Charger Rallye, 4 speed, muscle rat. Whatever engine right now?

Mopars Unlimited of Arizona

http://www.moparsaz.com/#

Ghoste

Quote from: 1974dodgecharger on January 18, 2014, 08:29:36 PM
Can we pretend that it was becuase my 383/4 speed was so poweful that she spun the tires and let me have my enjoyment  :nana: :icon_smile_big:

It's what I thought all along.

XH29N0G

Quote from: 1974dodgecharger on January 18, 2014, 08:29:36 PM

When my 383 was healthy (original cam - only really headers and a little more carburetor) it would spin the stock 14 inch tires like that, so I think you may not have to pretend.
Who in their right mind would say

"The science should not stand in the way of this."? 

Science is just observation and hypothesis.  Policy stands in the way.........

Or maybe it protects us. 

I suppose it depends on the specific case.....

1974dodgecharger

Quote from: Paul G on January 19, 2014, 08:43:45 PM
Quote from: 1974dodgecharger on January 14, 2014, 09:20:12 PM

man I did not think that a sub 300 HP power vehicle could that with 4000lbs....

Might have to rethink that.  :icon_smile_tongue:

Paul,
U sir are correct i retract my statement will try to link to my Facebook to show u guys why lol...

Lord Warlock

If my 383 auto could easily fry wide bias plys a 4spd should fry tires with just as much ease.  I put a 383 in the charger at one time and it ran just as well as the 440 did, it just didn't have the lungs at the top end that the 440 did.  I had L50-15 tires on it and had no problem turning them into smoke at will.  One thing I will admit though is that the charger when spinning tires rarely squealed the tires, all you heard was motor and a scrubbing noise and lots of smoke.  My 66 mustang when spinning tires they would make a squealing noise the whole time. 
69 RT/SE Y3 cream yellow w/tan vinyl top and black r/t stripe. non matching 440/375, 3:23, Column shift auto w/buddy seat, tan interior, am/fm w/fr to back fade, Now wears 17" magnum 500 rims and Nitto tires. Fresh repaint, new interior, new wheels and tires.

XH29N0G

Quote from: Lord Warlock on January 20, 2014, 07:21:43 PM
One thing I will admit though is that the charger when spinning tires rarely squealed the tires, all you heard was motor and a scrubbing noise and lots of smoke.  My 66 mustang when spinning tires they would make a squealing noise the whole time. 

Wonder why that is?  I think I have noticed it too.   :scratchchin: :scratchchin:   
Who in their right mind would say

"The science should not stand in the way of this."? 

Science is just observation and hypothesis.  Policy stands in the way.........

Or maybe it protects us. 

I suppose it depends on the specific case.....

Ghoste

Because some tires try to grip and some have a harder wearing tread compound that makes a scrubbing sound.

squeakfinder

These 295-50-15 radials make quite a bit of smoke but they don't leave the marks like the old bias plys did.
Still looking for 15x7 Appliance slotted mags.....

6pkrtse

Quote from: squeakfinder on January 20, 2014, 08:22:54 PM

These 295-50-15 radials make quite a bit of smoke but they don't leave the marks like the old bias plys did.

I also have 295/50's on my car currrently & they leave nice dark marks & stay there forever.

Lord Warlock

I always thought it was because the 440 had so much torque that the tires just gave up trying to get traction and decided spinning was easier.  I do kind of wonder what will happen when i try to launch it hard again now that it has 11 inch wide 17 inch wheels with 315 series nitto drag radials on it, will it spin or will it grip, who knows. Will be fun either way.
69 RT/SE Y3 cream yellow w/tan vinyl top and black r/t stripe. non matching 440/375, 3:23, Column shift auto w/buddy seat, tan interior, am/fm w/fr to back fade, Now wears 17" magnum 500 rims and Nitto tires. Fresh repaint, new interior, new wheels and tires.

Ghoste

Unless you are far from home and break a u-joint.  That is never fun.

6pkrtse

Quote from: Ghoste on January 22, 2014, 10:36:16 AM
Unless you are far from home and break a u-joint.  That is never fun.

Been there done that. Did that years ago while out cruising Telegraph. Blew the driveshaft. Luckily, a few dudes helped me push it to the side of the road. Another buddy of mine out there gave me a ride home to pick up the trailer.

Ghoste

Done it a couple of times myself.  The weak links never reveal themselves a block from home which is stramge because I'm much more likely to have my asshole hat on closer to home and familiar audiences.

1974dodgecharger

I feel like a kid I been doing little burnouts (no smoke) every so often now  :icon_smile_big: