News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

8 1/2 rear end?

Started by MagnumForce, January 14, 2014, 02:21:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MagnumForce

Has anyone ever heard of a 8 1/2, 10 bolt posi rear? I am pretty sure mopar didnt make it and after looking online i think it's GM, which makes me wonder what its doing in a charger... Not sure if i should replace it because i am putting in a 440 stroker pretty soon. 
If You Ain't First, You're Last!!

cdr

LINK TO MY STORY http://www.onallcylinders.com/2015/11/16/ride-shares-charlie-keel-battles-cancer-ms-to-build-brilliant-1968-dodge-charger/  

68 Charger 512 cid,9.7to1,Hilborn EFI,Home ported 440 source heads,small hyd roller cam,COLD A/C ,,a518 trans,Dana 60 ,4.10 gear,10.93 et,4100lbs on street tires full exhaust daily driver
Charger55 by Charlie Keel, on Flickr

chargd72

Are you sure it's not a 10 bolt 8 1/4?

'72 Charger SE 4bbl 318                          '76 Power Wagon 400 W200                                 2011 (attempt at a) Charger

A383Wing

GM did have an 8.5"...but a picture is worth a thousand guesses here

MagnumForce

Here it is. If needed i'll post another

A383Wing

what year is this in?

my 70 had a 8.25" stock....

Chrysler had 7.25", 8.25", both had rear covers like your picture...

Kern Dog

My 70 also had an 8 1/4 axle that had a 10 bolt cover like in the picture.
POSI ? Yeah.... that is a Chevy rear end for certain!    :lol:

MagnumForce

Its in a 69 and i don't know why its in the car.  :-\ Is it worth it to take it out because of the 600 hp engine that is soon going in the car? In the future i will put a different one in regardless but for the time being will this one hold?

Troy

600 HP? If you get it to hook you'll obliterate an 8 3/4" so I'd say that one won't last long at all. Run street radials on the street with an automatic and highway gears and it might hold up. I'd be planning a replacement sooner rather than later.

Troy
Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.

War wagon

A true 600hp or more requires either a seriously built aftermarket diff like the nodular moser or a seriously built Dana 60 . Otherwise you WILL be picking up pieces in short order...
Just sayin :Twocents:
I wouldn't leave that diff you have in with even a stock big block, it's meant for a NO TORQUE small block

MagnumForce

Ok i figured it wouldn't be enough, i will see about selling it while its still intact. The car will be running on street radials and 3.55's. Ill try and find a used Dana rear. Will it need much beefing up? Or would it be enough stock?

cudaken

Stock Dana will hold up for sometime depending on traction.

With some work, a 8 3/4 will hold up well. They are by far cheaper and I think weight 200 pounds less. :scratchchin:  But, if you have to have a extra 200 pounds, over the rear wheels is where you want it.  :2thumbs:

Is this a driver or race car?

Cuda Ken
I am back

Kern Dog

The Dana has had the reputation of being a porker of an axle but in reality, it weighs only 75-80 lbs more than an 8 3/4" axle. Hot Rod magazine dispelled the myth in the late 90s after swapping axles and weighing the car afterward.

cudaken

Hum, thought it was heaver. But I still bet it would cost 2 X as much.

I am back

Cooter

Caution....
the only thing your gaining with a stock Dana 60 over an 8 3/4 is ring and pinion strength.
axles are the same, and the weak link.
" I have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours researching what works and what doesn't and I'm willing to share"

War wagon

:Twocents:
Put a Dana with 35 spline axles, problem solved ;)
Every High horsepower car I know of personally runs a Dana 60. Eventually with enough power everyone ends up with one if they keep at it long enough lol
Repeated wknd warrior track use and a 8 3/4 rear ends = Dana 60 in the future  :smilielol:
I watched my father scatter one many years ago with a mild 440, they do work.... They just don't work over time if you plan on making a habit of beating on it. Especially with Slicks

Properly built Dana will last for years and years of repeated abuse on the street and strip :Twocents: