News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Good oil to use in my '68 440?

Started by MxRacer855, January 04, 2014, 03:38:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MxRacer855

Simple question but just want some input.
What do you guys run in your big blocks? I don't want to use "Meijer" brand oil in mine!  :lol: It's only going to be a fair weather car, so 10w-40 for sure. But brands??  :shruggy:

Thanks!

Jeff

myk

I'm running 10W-40 Pennzoil 'Plat synthetic in my 440.  I need to start adding that zinc stuff, though. 

And.......here goes another oil/zinc debate thread...

MxRacer855

Thanks Myk. You won't hear any debate from me. I just want something that will keep that motor turning!

Jeff

myk

Quote from: MxRacer855 on January 04, 2014, 08:43:18 PM
Thanks Myk. You won't hear any debate from me. I just want something that will keep that motor turning!

Jeff

Yeah well a lot of my car-friends and even people I know on the car forums give me crap for "wasting" money on synthetic.  Maybe it is a waste, maybe it isn't, but I like "pouring champagne" into my crankcase, and by golly I know the car won't ever have any issues because of the oil I use.  I use Pennzoil Platinum in all of my cars, btw; I really like that stuff, and I can get 5 quarts for about $23 at Wal*Mart...

Aero426

A few easy choices that have the right additive package:

Valvoline VR-1 20W-50 conventional in the silver bottle.
Brad Penn conventional.
Mobil 1 15W-50 full synthetic has more then enough Zn and P.   Some other grades of Mobil 1 do not.  
AMSoil Z-rod synthetic 10W-30 or 20W-50.  My local Farm & Fleet not sells this on the shelf.

MxRacer855

Sometimes piece of mind is priceless. I've raced dirtbikes for years and know that sometimes it doesn't take the fastest bike to win... it takes staying up all night before a race with a few buddies touching every bolt on the bike and just getting the confidence of knowing you didn't "short-cut" anything. So I'm with you!  :2thumbs:

myk

Quote from: Aero426 on January 04, 2014, 08:51:20 PM

Brad Penn conventional.
Mobil 1 15W-50 full synthetic has more then enough Zn and P.   Some other grades of Mobil 1 do not.  
AMSoil Z-rod synthetic 10W-30 or 20W-50.  My local Farm & Fleet not sells this on the shelf.

Mobil 1 15W-50 'syn has enough Z & P?

Aero426

Quote from: myk on January 04, 2014, 08:48:18 PM
Yeah well a lot of my car-friends and even people I know on the car forums give me crap for "wasting" money on synthetic.  Maybe it is a waste, maybe it isn't, but I like "pouring champagne" into my crankcase, and by golly I know the car won't ever have any issues because of the oil I use.  I use Pennzoil Platinum in all of my cars, btw; I really like that stuff, and I can get 5 quarts for about $23 at Wal*Mart...

Is is not conventional or synthetic that is the issue.    It is, "does the oil you use have the right additive package for your application?".       The type of wear caused by moderns oils is not something that may be seen in a change or two.   It can happen over a long period of time.     On a stock engine, perhaps you can get by for some time with a modern SN grade passenger car oil like you are using.    I don't know what the ZN & P is on the Pennzoil.      

Aero426

Quote from: myk on January 04, 2014, 09:01:57 PM
Quote from: Aero426 on January 04, 2014, 08:51:20 PM

Brad Penn conventional.

Mobil 1 15W-50 'syn has enough Z & P?

Yes, far more than some of the other grades of Mobil 1.  It specifically calls it out on the bottle.   I will find the tech chart.  

Aero426

Mobil 1 spec chart.   Scroll down to the top of page 2.   15W-50 is 1200 ppm Zn and 1300 P.     Specifically calls it out for flat tappet application.   :2thumbs:

Compare to other grades of Mobil 1 and you will see there is a difference depending on the grade selected. 

http://www.mobiloil.com/USA-English/MotorOil/Files/Mobil_1_Product_Guide.pdf

myk

This is great news for me, as I don't want to go buying additives and dropping them into the crank case.  Additives "bug" me...

1974dodgecharger

Quote from: myk on January 04, 2014, 10:12:13 PM
This is great news for me, as I don't want to go buying additives and dropping them into the crank case.  Additives "bug" me...

that and the additive is like 4 bucks?  Im plan to to use amosil dominator oil after this oild change.

Sublime/Sixpack

Joe Gibbs "Driven" HR-4. It's synthetic 10/30 and has the additive package that flat tappet engines need.
1970 Sublime R/T, 440 Six Pack, Four speed, Super Track Pak

69chargerboy

Quote from: Sublime/Sixpack on January 05, 2014, 12:04:37 PM
Joe Gibbs "Driven" HR-4. It's synthetic 10/30 and has the additive package that flat tappet engines need.

Same here!  :2thumbs:
My MoPar Family:

1968 Chrysler 300 
1968 Coronet 440 4-Dr                                                              
1968 Coronet 440                                       
1969 Charger                                       
1973 Charger SE 
1988 Dodge Custom 150 Pickup

firefighter3931

Brad Penn is excellent oil for all older engines and particularly important to have the proper additive package with flat tappet cams  :yesnod:

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs