News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Does a roll cage destroy the value of a car?

Started by MxRacer855, December 27, 2013, 10:31:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ghoste

HPP

Quote from: MxRacer855 on December 30, 2013, 08:28:05 PM
I guess I was just trying to weigh options. I don't want to build a "drag car", but I'm building a fast car that I'm going to drag on occasion (if that makes sense). 9 times out of 10 I'm going to be just another guy on the road. But my "idiotness" will come out that other 10%.  :lol:

Keep in mind that if have a fast car that you drag race on occasion, you will still have to meet the same tech requirements for safety based  on e.t. as a dedicated drag car and that may mean if you install a bar/cage, you have specific requirements that make it street unfriendly.

I would agree that it takes a high degree of "stupid" or "unlucky" to roll a Charger, but it is still a calculated risk and it can happen. Over all the odds, even factoring in some of the dumb stunts I've pulled, are pretty low compared to other types of vehicles and unless you level of stupid include airborne stunts and bouncing off curbs. But, sometimes even the 1 in a million chance hits. So, you have to assess for your self if the rick/benefit ratio is there for a bar and decide on your own if it is applicable to your situation.

MxRacer855

Thanks for that HPP. I hear you on that. There's always that chance that something can happen, but most likely will not if you do everything in your power to prevent them. I understand that the car has to be "drag" safe whether I run it once every 5 years, or 5 times a week. So back to the beginning again... I guess it really just comes down to what I want to do. Thanks for the great insight and opinions from everyone! I'll let you know what I decide, when I decide it.

Jeff

Mike DC

These cars are 50yo designs.  They aren't very safe in ANY way. 

No real crumple zones. The metal seat frames are shockingly weak for the job.  Side impact is a complete joke, not even the basic door beams.  The roof structure didn't even have a standard to meet.  Headrests were optional until the second half of the '69 cars.  The engine/tranny weighed most of 1000 lbs with nothing more than the firewall sheetmetal to keep it out of the cabin. 

If you want one of these things safe by modern standards then you will be starting from the ground up to redo the majority of the car. 

68X426

Quote from: Mike DC (formerly miked) on December 31, 2013, 07:36:10 PM

These cars are 50yo designs.  They aren't very safe in ANY way. 

No real crumple zones. The metal seat frames are shockingly weak for the job.  Side impact is a complete joke, not even the basic door beams.  The roof structure didn't even have a standard to meet.  Headrests were optional until the second half of the '69 cars.  The engine/tranny weighed most of 1000 lbs with nothing more than the firewall sheetmetal to keep it out of the cabin. 

If you want one of these things safe by modern standards then you will be starting from the ground up to redo the majority of the car. 

Great points, well said.  :yesnod:

The 12 Scariest Words in the English Language:
We are Here from The Government and
We Want to Help You.

1968 Plymouth Road Runner, Hemi and much more
2013 Dodge Challenger RT, Hemi, Plum Crazy
2014 Ram 4x4 Hemi, Deep Cherry Pearl
1968 Dodge Charger, 318, not much else
1958 Dodge Pick Up, 383, loud
1966 Dodge Van, /6, slow

shart70rt

Yep, they are a real piece of crap, but I love them.
Stephen Hart
1970 Charger RT, 440, console 4-speed, Dana 60 3.54
500 Stroker, Edelbrock Heads, Edelbrock intake, dual 600 CFM Carbs,
Comp Hydraulic Roller
Centerforce Dual Friction Clutch setup, Passon Performance overdrive gearset in 833 18 spline 4 spd.
TTI 2 inch headers and 3 inch exhaust.
Subframe connectors
P-S-T polygraphite suspension
4 wheel disc brakes
Classic Auto Air AC
Billet Performance Serpentine Assy
reassembly in progress

RDC

When I bought my 74 years ago it had a full roll cage installed. I was planning to turn the car from a drag racer back to a street car, and wasn't sure at the time what to do with the cage. The side bars were removed , but I left the rest. After repainting the car and getting it ready for the road I had it appraised for insurance and he went out of his way to take pictures that wouldn't show the cage, as no matter what is under the hood its instantly a race car and insurance would go through the roof, and some companys might not insure it a all. It has frame connecter as well and I decided it wasn't needed and cut the rest of the cage out. I now have a full interior back in the car, and my appraised value is more (believe it or not) and my insurance is $300 cheaper. In my experience the value of the car went up, and my insurance went down. If your not drag racing, forget the cage, install frame connector for stength and wear your seat belt at all times
:Twocents:

HPP

Quote from: RDC on January 01, 2014, 01:00:36 PM
After repainting the car and getting it ready for the road I had it appraised for insurance and he went out of his way to take pictures that wouldn't show the cage, as no matter what is under the hood its instantly a race car and insurance would go through the roof, and some companys might not insure it a all.

my appraised value is more (believe it or not) and my insurance is $300 cheaper. In my experience the value of the car went up, and my insurance went down.

But is this not really true since the former was an attempt to conceal the cage and the latter is based on the perception of the car being cageless.

RDC

He attempted to conceal, but didn't succeed. kind of had to take good pictures without seeing the bars.

MxRacer855

Yeah, it would have to be on a super sunny day where the glare just radiates off the windows.

Baldwinvette77

Quote from: RDC on January 01, 2014, 02:58:39 PM
He attempted to conceal, but didn't succeed. kind of had to take good pictures without seeing the bars.

It's called photoshop  ::)

RallyeMike

Why worry about value if you don't ever plan on selling the car?

I would recommending installation of a cage in a street car unless you also plan to race it. The value of a cage is not fully realized unless you are also willing to wear your 5-point harness (at race tightness) and a helmet. Without the belts and helmet you are just adding weight at a high center of gravity and not making the car much safer.

1969 Charger 500 #232008
1972 Charger, Grand Sport #41
1973 Charger "T/A"

Drive as fast as you want to on a public road! Click here for info: http://www.sscc.us/

Ghoste

I wonder if the people who are sure they are never going to sell their car shouldn't be the ones who worry most about value.  The most likely reason for them to sell would logically be an emergency need for the cash no?

Cooter

Quote from: Ghoste on January 02, 2014, 05:33:42 AM
I wonder if the people who are sure they are never going to sell their car shouldn't be the ones who worry most about value.  The most likely reason for them to sell would logically be an emergency need for the cash no?

That there's your first mistake.  Emergency cash is one thing, but where many make their mistake is they begin to believe that hype they've heard about paying of houses with a 318 car.
A classic example is a used to be buddy of mine with a 'california' 58 Plymouth 2dr hdtop.
Dude has been trying to sell it for about 5 years. Has THREE (3) offers for exactly whwt he paid even wwith car in pieces.
Dude calls each buyer I lined up and attempts to play them against each other for what he referred to as a 'better deal'.
It cost him the sale on all accounts. Selling is unfortunate, but come sale time, forced or not, it seems greed enters the picture and screws it all up.
" I have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours researching what works and what doesn't and I'm willing to share"

Ghoste

Thats what I mean though, if you are an emergency only seller, you need to have actual value in the car, not the hype value.