News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Are car/parts values dropping significantly?

Started by AKcharger, November 28, 2009, 08:36:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hemihead

I'm with Cooter on this for the most part . In 1977 I was 14 and Mopar when Mopar wasn't cool . I almost got laughed out of school when I bought a 70 Charger for $250 . Then I really got it when 2 months later I bought a 70 Road Runner for $135 . It was social suicide . Fast forward to now . Besides the private parts sellers asking insane prices , look at new parts prices . I swear every 6 months months the prices climb another $20 or more . Everyone says that at least companies are making parts again . Well , doesn't do any good to have it available if you can't buy it anyway . Then you have companies that won't make certain parts for certain cars because they say there is no market for it and can't sell enough ( like 73 - 74 fenders or 71- 74 Bulge Hoods ) . That is just code for they can't get $1000 a fender or $5000 for a hood . If they priced more reasonably they would sell more and most likely make more money .At one time Mopar guys helped Mopar guys . Mopar guys used to stick together and were the nicest people . It was very rarely that you would ever see a Mopar run another Mopar . But now there seems to be a lot of self serving, obnoxious back stabbers out there . But my #1 pet peeve is these " Investor Types " who have never been near a car in their lives enough to know how to check oil . They buy a car , and just write checks for everything , get the whole car done by other people , then brag to everyone they meet about how " THEY " rebuilt this car . Sure they can spout numbers and facts and figures , but they sure never got their hands dirty . But I guess it's just what I have to put up with since Mopars have become a clique thing .
Lots of people talkin' , few of them know
Soul of a woman was created below
  Led Zeppelin

Ghoste

So true and good point about the social outcast thing.  You had to be Mopar because you knew thats what you wanted not because you heard it was cool.
I even took it on the chin at home with a father who was (is) into Fords.

hawkeye

Dodge Don at 70ChargerRegristry has been keeping track of 70 prices on Ebay.  It appears that the hemis and 6 pack cars are the only ones that have decreased in value.                                                                                                                                                               "Unfortunately I never tracked the dates with each price however they are listed in order of entry over time. So to get an idea on average prices over time I divided all the entries into 5 groups.....group 1 earliest recorded, then group 2, 3, 4 and 5 being most recent. This is also impacted by number of project cars for sale during any period and number of high end fully restored cars during any period....as an example when times are tough you saw alot more projects up for sale on EBAY. Anyways, not entirely scientific but gives a different view on prices over time (2005 to present). I can say that this year I have seen an increase in the values especially for 440 R/T, 500 and Base models which are more financially accessible than Hemi and 6 Pack cars which have kind of flat lined.

HEMI CARS
G1 $147,487
G2 $98,937
G3 $128,051
G4 $96,254
G5 $97,971

SIX PACK CARS
G1 $33,262
G2 $52,476
G3 $52,612
G4 $38,880
G5 $32,851

RT 440
G1 $16,764
G2 $21,832
G3 $26,637
G4 $19,054
G5 $24,337

G1 $8,806
G2 $10,943
G3 $13,412
G4 $12,441
G5 $13,428

BASE
G1 $6,661
G2 $9,262
G3 $12,246
G4 $10,802
G5 $12,295"

AKcharger

Thanks Hawkeye, at least it better than a guess!

Challenger340

Hagerty shows 1969 Charger R/T prices RISING since September 2013, to ~$40K for a #3 Car, and above $52K for a #2 Car ?
WOW !

Some good charts here showing the prices over the last few years. You can sure see the DUMP back in 2007-2008, but climbing back nicely now ?
http://www.hagerty.com/valuationtools/HVT/VehicleSearch/Report?vc=53524
Only wimps wear Bowties !

Ghoste

Those Hagerty numbers seem very "optimistic" to me.

F8-4life

My humble opinion, is you will see prices drop in coming years. This will be accrossed the board for most common classics of any era.
When they get out of reach for most folks, they have nowhere to go but back down.
Although very special/rare cars will always be $$.

ACUDANUT

How did this thread come back...It's 3 years old.

Challenger340

I can't see anybodies current "Wealth Effect" rationale, to support the increasing price support Hagerty is showing either ?

Media keeps talking about the U.S.A. Economic "recovery" since 2008, is now finally underway. I remain skeptical, and at least here in Canada where we haven't had the Housing Crash... YET ?
Canadians are among the MOST Indebted people in the world currently !... and you guessed it... all based in SKYROCKETED Real Estate Values, which has continued even since 2008 to ASTRONOMICAL levels.
Sound familiar to anybody in the U.S.A. ??

No matter,
there will always be people with Money to spend, I just think there will be fewer of them down the road..= less demand= lower prices ?
Including for Chargers !

Only wimps wear Bowties !