News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Question - Rear Seat Speaker + Defroster

Started by xs29bb1, January 03, 2014, 09:58:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

xs29bb1

I just want to confirm something w/ you guys -  it's my understanding that if you had the rear seat speaker option AND the defroster, that you got only ONE rear speaker which went on the passenger's side - and the blower motor for the defroster was in the area where the drivers' side speaker would normally go.  Is this correct? 

69 OUR/TEA

My car is a factory rear defogger,and is apart right now,but if my memory is correct,the speaker is on the drivers side,and the defogger intake is in the pass side speaker hole.

dual fours

here's a view from my trunk.
But as you see I have added extra speakers, far left & far right.
Let's wait and see what others have to say or show.
You can see where the original speaker had been, drivers side, where there is no speaker now.
1970 Dodge Charger SE, 383 Magnum, dual fours, Winter's shifter and racing transmission.

26 END
J25 L31 M21 M31 N85 R22
VX1 AO1 A31 A47 C16 C55
FK5 CRXA TX9 A15
E63 D32 XP29 NOG

charge69

My Charger has the AM/8-Track radio with the single rear speaker option and the rear speaker is on the driver's side. No defroster option but the previous poster (dual fours) shows that the motor and air intake was on the passenger side and I believe this to be the case.

A383Wing

I don't have a pic right now, but there was a special blower housing that contained the blower and the speaker for the passenger side...I have one here, hard to find

gasoline_24

xs29bb1

Hey guys - thanks a lot.  

So the speaker was on the driver's side.  

Charger69 - I was under the impression that if you didn't have the defroster you would get 2 rear speakers - is that not the case?  Just curious.  (although I guess the option is called rear seat speaker NOT
speakers.... but why would they put in only one if they had the room for 2)??

E5 Charger

That's correct as far as I know. E bodies and possibly C bodies had the option of a housing that allows you to have two speakers with the defroster. There are a few sources, but here is a photos from one. http://www.classicindustries.com/mopar/parts/me8135.html

A383Wing

charge69

xs29bb1:  I think there was an option for 2 rear speakers as well as just a "rear" speaker!  Not really sure but my Charger came with the under-dash fader for front-to-rear balance with only 1 rear speaker and 3 speakers in the dash! WTF!

This might have something to do with the AM/8-Track radio option as the 8-Track player was stereo but not sure.

xs29bb1

Quote from: charge69 on January 04, 2014, 12:08:41 AM
xs29bb1:  I think there was an option for 2 rear speakers as well as just a "rear" speaker!  Not really sure but my Charger came with the under-dash fader for front-to-rear balance with only 1 rear speaker and 3 speakers in the dash! WTF!

This might have something to do with the AM/8-Track radio option as the 8-Track player was stereo but not sure.

Yeah I have the same configuration - AM/8-Track, 3 speakers in front, and then the 1 in the rear.  According to the literature I have, there was just 1 rear speaker option (which cost $14.70)  I just assumed that if you didn't get the defogger that they'd put 2 speakers back there, but I guess not...  :shruggy:

dual fours

xs29bb1: dumb question, but what year Charger is in question?
1970 Dodge Charger SE, 383 Magnum, dual fours, Winter's shifter and racing transmission.

26 END
J25 L31 M21 M31 N85 R22
VX1 AO1 A31 A47 C16 C55
FK5 CRXA TX9 A15
E63 D32 XP29 NOG

fy469rtse

2nd gen ,
I have the unit but have put four rear speakers in there, did they work well compared to modern defroster s
Until this post hadn't thought about putting it in

Ghoste

It's just a blower recirculating air back there and the air temp is ambient.  The modern electric ones work better although the blower is effective on misty glass.  It's that hard winter frost that stymies it until the rest of the interior warms up.

fy469rtse

Thanks Ghoste, won't need it then , the way this car is built wont be worrying about what's behind me , will only go out in nice weather and daylight probably,
Side question any one fitted a modern type to their screen, lots of other upgrades why not this

Ghoste

I've seen kits to do it but not unlike you, I think most of us rarely drive our Chargers in frosty conditions.

bill440rt

Yes, when you had the rear defroster option the car only came equipped with one rear seat speaker as others have stated.
My '70 has that option.  :yesnod:
"Strive for perfection in everything. Take the best that exists and make it better. If it doesn't exist, create it. Accept nothing nearly right or good enough." Sir Henry Rolls Royce

xs29bb1

xs29bb1

Quote from: bill440rt on January 04, 2014, 10:20:26 AM
Yes, when you had the rear defroster option the car only came equipped with one rear seat speaker as others have stated.
My '70 has that option.  :yesnod:

Thanks.  And based on what others have said, I assume the speaker was on the driver's side?

John L

My car (70 Charger) has the rear window defroster with the AM 8 track. It is my understanding when you have these two options you got 1 rear speaker (drivers side) with the defroster mounted in the passenger speaker outlet, and 3 speakers in the dash. The defroster blower was missing on my car but everything else was still there. Judging by the wiring harness length the blower motor was defiantly mounted on the passenger side, plus the package tray duct was mounted with the hose connection facing that direction. All that being said I came across this and it adds a bit of a twist.

http://www.1970chargerregistry.com/mboard/index.php?topic=11.15

Scroll down about midway on page 2 and it shows the mounting of the blower motor in a different manner.

John

bill440rt

Quote from: John L on January 04, 2014, 02:44:59 PM
My car (70 Charger) has the rear window defroster with the AM 8 track. It is my understanding when you have these two options you got 1 rear speaker (drivers side) with the defroster mounted in the passenger speaker outlet, and 3 speakers in the dash. The defroster blower was missing on my car but everything else was still there. Judging by the wiring harness length the blower motor was defiantly mounted on the passenger side, plus the package tray duct was mounted with the hose connection facing that direction. All that being said I came across this and it adds a bit of a twist.

http://www.1970chargerregistry.com/mboard/index.php?topic=11.15

Scroll down about midway on page 2 and it shows the mounting of the blower motor in a different manner.

John

Very interesting. I believe Don's car has an AM/FM, looks that way in the pic further down.
JohnL, like yours mine also has the defroster/AM-8 track combo, and yes I also have 3 speakers in the dash. One rear speaker.
"Strive for perfection in everything. Take the best that exists and make it better. If it doesn't exist, create it. Accept nothing nearly right or good enough." Sir Henry Rolls Royce

fy469rtse

Ghoste , oohhhh I like your latest car very nice

Ghoste

Thank you.  I've been following your progress with admiration as well.  ;) :cheers: