News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Back in the day

Started by rustafarian, January 02, 2014, 09:28:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rustafarian

I was at the local tap this evening and ran into an older guy and of course it came to cars once the wonderful attributes of the bartender had been covered.  He got out of high school around 1970. Talked about a '69ish Coronet with a straight six and three on the tree and his uncle had and how him and his cousin beat the hell out of it driving to Colorado on a road trip  (I was talking skiing with all the snow we have) Then a '71 Charger a few years later they just couldn't get running right and sold to a HS kid who just about totalled it pulling away cuz the brakes were shot. Then about this stupid yellow SuperBee they really thrashed street racing one summer dumping oil everywhere and breaking motor mounts all the time.  Said he never knew how his cousin ever sold it with the motor so far gone, body was shot, had the goofy wing on the back and a crunched front end with the headlights stuck in popped open position like a Corvette....This would've been in OakLawn (Chicago) around 1975.  The wing was black said raced on Western Ave but the ride home at high speeds in the early morning running red lights was the crazy part.
Anyhow that's his story, I didn't ask for it and just let him tell it.   When it was over I did say aren't you talking about a SuperBird?   He said oh ya that was it
Beyond the Palace hemi-powered drones scream down the boulevard

Aero426

Some of the details from the guy may be hazy.   "The older I get, the faster I was."    :smilielol:

Oaklawn IL means that it is possibly the car that Randy Weirgzak wound up with.   Car was really beat when he got it about 1975.   Only trace of a previous owner was a guy named Benny Dillworth and the car had been repo'ed.   The car was originally yellow and had been painted several times when Randy got it. The 440 was gone and replaced by a 383.  It had a 4-speed and buckets.    Car is restored to stock today and is quite nice.

Ghoste

Isn't Oaklawn one of the wealthy 'burbs?

rustafarian

Name was Jim H owned a detail shop. Oakbrook is the wealthy 'burb youre thinking of.  My friend doesn't remember the one you pictured
Beyond the Palace hemi-powered drones scream down the boulevard

Aero426

May not be the same car.

They got one of them fancy Polo Clubs there in Oakbrook.  

Dave Kanofsky

I'm right near Oak Lawn, it's a nice suburb, but not wealthy because if it was they wouldn't let me in!

I also know Randy and his brother Mitch quite well, Randy's was the first wing car I ever saw when he pulled out of Duke's back in the early 80's, I was hooked instantly!
"God sent his Son into the world not to judge the world, but to save the world through him." John 3:17, NLT

Racers For Christ Chaplain (www.teamrfc.org)