News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Barracuda black hole

Started by RGA, December 16, 2013, 10:21:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RGA

So.... I took my wife's 66 barracuda apart 3 years ago ( 225 burning oil ). I picked up a 76 volare running good for $400 to get the 318. Volare ran great so figured just a re-seal, paint and swap. Pulled the motor and started pulling the tin and found the inside sludged bad. So tear the motor down and have machine work done and heads done and re-assemble. Hunt down all the brackets and manifolds and linkages to do the swap (63-66 a body small block manifolds are not easy to find). Install motor and run. Ran great for about 2 hours and locked up. Pull motor back out and drop the oil pan and find a section of cam sitting in the pan ! Bottom end completely wadded up from the center section of the cam snapping and falling into the bottom end. NEVER BUY A SUMMIT CAMSHAFT !!! So now I purchase a crate motor from autozone. Put it together and run it. Exhaust leak from drivers side manifold because the manifold is hitting the head (different casting I guess) so tonight I grind off the little casting thats hitting my manifold on this new head. Grind right into a coolant passage. Crap !

Thanks, just needed to vent a little.

daveco

Ah, the joys of old cars.
Rest assured, you are not alone.
R/Tree

Indygenerallee

Should have ground on the manifold!!!  :lol: Sorry I think it's funny cause I have been in your shoes!!! Just walk away... walk away...
Sold my Charger unfortunately....never got it finished.

JB400

If it wasn't for bad luck, we wouldn't have any at all :pity:  Murphy at his finest.

ACUDANUT

Ghoste

Some days its definitely two steps backwards instead of progress.  Deep breaths.

wingcar

What's that old rule of thumb:  "Measure once and Cut twice"......something like that.
1970 Daytona Charger SE "clone" (440/Auto)
1967 Charger (360,6-pak/Auto)
2008 Challenger SRT8 BLK (6.1/Auto) 6050 of 6400

RGA

Yup I'm dumb. Zinc ? Better add that zinc or you might snap your cam in half hahahahaha
Yes there was zinc involved.

ACUDANUT

Was your cam made in China? I'm being serious ..

Lord Warlock

Venting to others that can relate relieves stress.  Sometimes its an act of contrition to the car gods to admit defeat so you can move on.  Was in your shoes two weeks ago when running brake lines, to rear axle, ended up cutting thru the hub to get it off, cut thru the axle too, buy new ones, install those, go back to front brakes, find an issue with the brake line i just finished installing previous week, its too long to use the rear hold off valve, so went direct into main distribution block just to move forward. Now i get to take off the right rear wheel and see what damage i can do to that axle...already have a replacement if i want to change it, but also have to rebuild the drum brake on that side, hope its easier than the other side was.  
69 RT/SE Y3 cream yellow w/tan vinyl top and black r/t stripe. non matching 440/375, 3:23, Column shift auto w/buddy seat, tan interior, am/fm w/fr to back fade, Now wears 17" magnum 500 rims and Nitto tires. Fresh repaint, new interior, new wheels and tires.

RGA

It was a summit cam. Don't know who makes them for summit but probably china.