News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

What is it worth: My '68 Charger

Started by Shankster, December 10, 2013, 06:35:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Charger-Bodie

68 Charger R/t white with black v/t and red tailstripe. 440 4 speed ,black interior
68 383 auto with a/c and power windows. Now 440 4 speed jj1 gold black interior .
My Charger is a hybrid car, it burns gas and rubber............

1974dodgecharger

OP never came back to post more pics because we are picture fienes  ;D

500Jon

Hi Shankster,

Good color combo for a Charger, bad color combo to sell methinks.
But when it comes to high dollar cars all Chargers are up there!
I've been offered nearly bare Charger shells in LA for $5K.
So any less than that is a steal.
I can see this baby going to Europe, along with hundreds of others LoL :popcrn:

Good luck with your fine Mopar 500Jon
IF A JOB's WORTH DOING, ITS WORTH DOING WELL, RIP DAD.
4-SPEED, 1969 Charger-500 is the most Coolio car in the World!

hydroforce2

i think it's only worth what someone will give you for it.. even tho it's worth a gazzilion dollars to you
1968 Dodge Charger - 383 4 speed
1968 Dodge Charger - 383 auto
2004 Dodge Ram 2500 6" lift
2005 Dodge Rumble Bee - #3517 Black 4x4

Hard Charger

Whats up with the steering wheel center?  That's not Charger issue.

Charger-Bodie

Quote from: Hard Charger on December 16, 2013, 03:01:13 PM
Whats up with the steering wheel center?  That's not Charger issue.

One of the early 68 quirks.
68 Charger R/t white with black v/t and red tailstripe. 440 4 speed ,black interior
68 383 auto with a/c and power windows. Now 440 4 speed jj1 gold black interior .

Hard Charger

My 68 is a early build, September I think.

I have the standard looking cap.

HeavyFuel

I hate to look at cars like this....neat color combo, decent options.......but rotted.    :'(

Doesn't really matter WHAT color any of it is now...90% of it will have to be replaced.    :brickwall:

Two words:   indoor storage.       :'( :'(   

Charger-Bodie

Quote from: Hard Charger on December 17, 2013, 04:34:39 PM

The fratzog style cap isnt seen on many just the very first 68s. I had a reall early 68 too and it too had the standard paded one, but ive seen probably half a dozen like this car has. All of those were really early builds.

myk

Quote from: HeavyFuel on December 17, 2013, 05:30:04 PM
I hate to look at cars like this....neat color combo, decent options.......but rotted.    :'(

Doesn't really matter WHAT color any of it is now...90% of it will have to be replaced.    :brickwall:

Two words:   indoor storage.       :'( :'(   

Yeah.  I left mine outside for a year and didn't touch it ONCE; one of the biggest regrets of my life, and one of the hardest roads to travel to get it back...

Ghoste

Quote from: Charger-Bodie on December 17, 2013, 05:31:18 PM
Quote from: Hard Charger on December 17, 2013, 04:34:39 PM

The fratzog style cap isnt seen on many just the very first 68s. I had a reall early 68 too and it too had the standard paded one, but ive seen probably half a dozen like this car has. All of those were really early builds.

Almost like a natural evolution from the 67 style.

Shankster

I'm still planning on posting more pictures. This past weekend was the big push to get my mother moved.

Could someone please post a pic of what the hood latch looks like so that I can get an idea as to where I can poke and prod to get that thing triggered? I'd really appreciate it!

fy469rtse

It won't make it to Europe if us Aussies have anything to do with it first lol
We love chargers down here

500Jon

68-69 Chargers are iconic!
Fortunately mother Mopar made plenty.
Not too many got destroyed for drag-racing like other models.
Film studios in Californication must have seen off about 400 or so.
Sad thing was they was all rust free bodyshells that are the most sort after now.

A 68 383 bodyshell was restored at JPC Autobody UK, from a rusty crashed wreck!
Think the (incomplete) car was bought on the Bay for £7k and cost £20k to put it right.(shell only no paint)
Fully jig aligned and all new panels were fitted onto it, to make as new a Bodyshell as currently possible.

Once AMD get all the panel needed, then we will have factory style original bodyshells available again.
How much and who would actually but one is anther matter all together??? :popcrn:

What you pay for a project Charger at the beginning, becomes almost irrelevant at the end ::)

Was at a Cali-car show a few years back, there was an all original 71 Hemi Charger there.
Guess what a well known restorer quoted to restore it???
If I told you then you would faint!!! :slap:
We all want to restore our lovely Mopars for five figure amounts, but six thats eyewatering!

Food for thought 500J
IF A JOB's WORTH DOING, ITS WORTH DOING WELL, RIP DAD.
4-SPEED, 1969 Charger-500 is the most Coolio car in the World!

472 R/T SE

Quote from: paironines on December 12, 2013, 04:47:59 AM
I think it would be sold the first day at 5k. So probably worth 7k if rails are good.

That's what I was thinking.  If you're gonna peddle it, I'd make sure to price it high enough to give you wiggle room.

Yeah, the rear window has rust.  They started rusting there sitting at the factory.  The thing about the rust is it needs water.  We're talking California here, if it's been undercoated there's no way that car got enough water to destroy the rear rails.  Heck, every time there's a drought, they want to build a water pipeline from up here to down there which seems to happen at the end of every summer.

I happen to love the color combo.   :2thumbs:

myk

Eh, California is wet enough in the air to feed rust.  Outside storage=death to any car, especially older ones that "rusted while they were sitting in the factory."

Dino

Quote from: Shankster on December 19, 2013, 02:39:28 AM
I'm still planning on posting more pictures. This past weekend was the big push to get my mother moved.

Could someone please post a pic of what the hood latch looks like so that I can get an idea as to where I can poke and prod to get that thing triggered? I'd really appreciate it!

As long as you can get something like a coat hanger behind the lever or through that hole, you should be able to pull it toward you and open the hood.

If the handle is still there but disconnected from the hook, it means the clip came off but you can usually get the lever back in place to open it with some wiggling.

Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

472 R/T SE

I don't know about '68 but in '70 when you eliminate the pop up spring the hood just stays closed.

It's sort of a theft deterrent.  Thief reaches in and pops the hood handle & the hood does nothing.  I even, I mean I hear it even confuses the Mopar die hard folk.  Plus if you have new paint, no more worries.

Shankster

Dino, thanks for the screenshots. The latch that I was referring to is the first one; the one that holds the hood firm when closed and is released by sliding the little spring lever to the side. When I slide that lever, it doesn't release the hood to pop up and get to that handle.

myk

Quote from: 472 R/T SE on December 20, 2013, 11:31:29 AM
I don't know about '68 but in '70 when you eliminate the pop up spring the hood just stays closed.

It's sort of a theft deterrent.  Thief reaches in and pops the hood handle & the hood does nothing.  I even, I mean I hear it even confuses the Mopar die hard folk.  Plus if you have new paint, no more worries.

One reason why I never replaced mine...

Dino

Quote from: Shankster on December 21, 2013, 02:47:24 AM
Dino, thanks for the screenshots. The latch that I was referring to is the first one; the one that holds the hood firm when closed and is released by sliding the little spring lever to the side. When I slide that lever, it doesn't release the hood to pop up and get to that handle.

Ah I misunderstood.  My bad

That lever connects a short rod to the latch so a few things could have gone wrong here.  The good news is that you can release it real quick.  If you have a front license plate you may need to remove it.  Sit in front of the grille and through the middle.  You should see a short rod from the center running towards the lever.  Seeing yours doesn't work it's either gone or loose.  Doesn't matter.  The latch is right in the middle of the top grille support frame so stick your hand in the big hole in the valance behind the license plate and reach up to find the latch.  There's a small but thick metal plate on the back of the latch so grab it and turn it clockwise facing it to release the hood.  If it's stuck you can grab the plate with big pliers or you can even soak the latch in pb blaster, just try not to spray yourself with that stuff.   :icon_smile_big:

I always planned on removing the lever and installing a cable release so nobody can open my hood, but I'll have to do some more because this is all it takes to open it. 
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.