News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Who invented the cupholder?

Started by Ghoste, November 28, 2013, 08:48:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ghoste

Was the Dodge Caravan the first vehicle with built in cupholders?

bill440rt

I think it may have gone further than that.  :scratchchin:
Remember those little depressions some cars had on the inside of the glove box lid?  :lol:
My mom's ol' 76 Fleetwood had them.  :icon_smile_big:
"Strive for perfection in everything. Take the best that exists and make it better. If it doesn't exist, create it. Accept nothing nearly right or good enough." Sir Henry Rolls Royce

Ghoste

My 67 Charger has them as well but I would never use them unless the vehicle was stationary.  I'm thinking more the deeper ones we all treasure so much today.

Daytona R/T SE

No.

It was back in '79

Her name was Barb.

It wasn't a cup.

It was a Stag beer can.

She wore little tube tops and tiny little blue jean shorts.

Rarely anything else, except maybe those little Jesus sandals.

She could be out of that little outfit in three seconds flat.

And she often was.

I still remember the sound of that tanned, bare skin on hot, black vinyl seats...

XS29L9Bxxxxxx

The first cupholders, which were really nothing more than indentations in gloveboxes, etc., were in the 1950s. Great for beverages while stopped, but not while moving.

I recall in the 1970s, cupholders which "held" the beverage, and slipped between the window glass and felt. The mass of cupholders came in the 1980s, mostly  :Twocents:

Ghoste

I should rephrase the question.  Which car company was the first to use a built in deep cup holder thay could hold your beverage while under motion without it spilling?  :icon_smile_big:

Daytona R/T SE

Quote from: Ghoste on November 28, 2013, 09:04:10 AM
I should rephrase the question.  Which car company was the first to use a built in deep cup holder thay could hold your beverage while under motion without it spilling?  :icon_smile_big:

Oh.

I guess you were looking for something slightly different than my reply above.

:scratchchin: :smilielol:

Ghoste

Yeah, but I wsn't clear in my question.  I knew in my head what I was curious about but you answered the question I actually asked.  :lol:

JB400

Wikpedia says they were invented in the 20's and made more available later on in minivans.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cup_holder

My guess is one of the coach built cars like a Duesenberg was the first ones to have a cup holder

70moparman

Quote from: Daytona R/T SE on November 28, 2013, 09:09:37 AM
I should rephrase the question.  Which car company was the first to use a built in deep cup holder thay could hold your beverage while under motion without it spilling?  :icon_smile_big:

Oh.

I thought you had the best answer actually...  :yesnod:

Ghoste

JB400

I was putting more emphasis on the coach built part instead of the Duesenberg part

Daytona R/T SE

Quote from: 70moparman on November 28, 2013, 09:39:04 AM
Quote from: Daytona R/T SE on November 28, 2013, 09:09:37 AM

Oh.

I thought you had the best answer actually...  :yesnod:

;)

JB400

I haven't found out who invented it, but it looks like the aftermarket made it available in the 20's for the model T.   They were called snack trays.   http://www.bonappetit.com/trends/article/the-history-of-the-car-cup-holder

Ghoste

Interesting.  Right in line with the earliest food to go service.

69_500

Quote from: XS29L9Bxxxxxx on November 28, 2013, 08:57:56 AM
The first cupholders, which were really nothing more than indentations in gloveboxes, etc., were in the 1950s. Great for beverages while stopped, but not while moving.

I recall in the 1970s, cupholders which "held" the beverage, and slipped between the window glass and felt. The mass of cupholders came in the 1980s, mostly  :Twocents:

I still use a cup holder like that in my charger.

Bob T

My old 61 EK Holden Station Sedan had 3 circular depressions about 3 1/2 by 5/32 deep stamped into the underside of the steel glovebox lid. The lid would open out horizontal and stay put.
You could get 3 bourbon and cokes set up for the roadtrip in those chunky mobil giveaway glasss and they didnt even move a bit, even through the drivethru.
As did all Holdens of the same era, they all had the 3 indents, up to the 65 HD at least, you've gotta hand it to the Aussies, they really popularised the practice. That was some 20 years ago though, I would'nt try it now  :lol:

Old Dog, Old Tricks.

Ghoste

Those look virtually the same as the ones that were in glovebox lids over here too.

Bob T

Quote from: Ghoste on November 29, 2013, 06:40:35 AM
Those look virtually the same as the ones that were in glovebox lids over here too.

Ahhh, parent corporation styling cues then possibly.
Holden is GM, did any of the rest of them do it?
Old Dog, Old Tricks.

Ghoste

Tilar

I had a number of 60's Ford vehicles and they all had them.
Dave  

God must love stupid people; He made so many.