News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Dash Brake Light, what causes it to light up?

Started by Lord Warlock, December 07, 2013, 10:05:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lord Warlock

A long time ago, the brake light came on and wouldn't shut off, I just pulled the bulb since I didn't care to see a light go on when the brake was on, and when it lit up on its own it was a major distraction.  When I disconnected the distribution block to install new lines, i noticed a wire that plugs into the distribution block, i assume this is the brake light connector.  The black ceramic part that surrounded the connector was broken and showing part of the post underneath,  which is why i got a new one,  but don't think that would cause the light to stay on all the time.  What should I look for as a possible cause for the brake light being on all the time?  Is this light connected to the main brakes, or the emergency brake assembly?  Not aware of any connector anywhere else.  Maybe the Ebrake pedal?
69 RT/SE Y3 cream yellow w/tan vinyl top and black r/t stripe. non matching 440/375, 3:23, Column shift auto w/buddy seat, tan interior, am/fm w/fr to back fade, Now wears 17" magnum 500 rims and Nitto tires. Fresh repaint, new interior, new wheels and tires.

A383Wing

A pressure differential in the brake system will cause the light to go on warning the driver that car only has brakes on 2 wheels now....or....the e-brake switch is not adjusted correctly or possible that the ebrake pedal is not coming up all the way to turn switch off

either one will turn on the light in dash

John_Kunkel

Since the switch on the distribution block is suspect, disconnect it and see if the light goes out.
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

ws23rt

Check the switch at the emergency brake pedal.  I have a weak spring on mine and sometimes it won't trip the switch.

Lord Warlock

So, the light connects or lights based on a connector on the brake distribution block, and another on the emergency brake pedal? I imagine the problem to mine would be the brake pedal switch, the spring may be suspect and worth looking into. 
69 RT/SE Y3 cream yellow w/tan vinyl top and black r/t stripe. non matching 440/375, 3:23, Column shift auto w/buddy seat, tan interior, am/fm w/fr to back fade, Now wears 17" magnum 500 rims and Nitto tires. Fresh repaint, new interior, new wheels and tires.

A383Wing

unplug both connectors, then plug one back in and see if light comes back on..if not, plug the other wire back in and see if light comes on...whatever wire you plug in to make dash light come on, that will be yer problem area