News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

eating Voltage regulators

Started by Sixt8Chrgr, February 09, 2008, 06:28:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

HANDM

mopar0166

I bought a new wells voltage regualtor, i really dont remember where i got the new one i installed this winter. 

I do have a multimeter, what tests shoudl be performed on the this system, so maybe i can clarify things  abit.  I am thinking i shold check my ground leads as well to make sure they are good and clean even though i just put them on about a month ago. 

I also noticed at idle the voltage was a bit low according to my guage in side the car 10-11 volts and when i take above idle it goes up over 12 and then driving it goes up to like 14 and thats when i saw this flashing. 

I really want to get back to putting some miles on this new engine but i can be out and have electircal issues. 

Pete in NH

Do you know if the replacement regulator is an electromechanical relay type or electronic? I don't know if they even make the old relay type anymore but sticking relay contacts used to act as you describe. The electronic replacement types could act that way if the ground was not a good one. So, yes, recheck the regulator grounding, as well as the battery cables for clean, tight connections. On new, restored cars painted surfaces can mess up the grounding of the regulator body, on old unrestored cars rust does the same. You can put one voltmeter lead directly on the negative battery terminal and the other on the regulator frame, if you see any voltage between the two points you have a ground issue somewhere. A poor ground would cause the regulator to think the battery voltage is too low and try to raise the alternator output accordingly.

Another test you might try is to disconnect the field wire of the alternator and go for a short drive on the battery alone. If you see the same voltage surges you would know its something internal to the alternator. I think that's a really long shot but it might be worth a try to isolate the issue between the regulator and alternator.

mopar0166

Yeah that sounds good, ill have to try that when i get home from work tonight.  im guessing i should see what my battery voltage is and what output is from the alternator as well. 

I kinda have a feeling that is be a bad ground at the VR.    The voltage regualtor i bought this winter was supppose to be electronic to look like an old one.   the new one I have is an electronic one. 

i ll give it some more tests tonght and post the results i dunno if this is relavent but i am running a MSD 6 al  as well

mopar0166

ran a couple tests with multimeter:

neg battery to fire wall with key off is zero, vr is zero

neg battery to firewall with key on is .01, vr is .01

battery voltage is 11.6, started and ran normal

tested out put from alt is 12 -13

alt ground wire reads .01

vr reads like 10.5 running

green field wire reads .01 

SO am I looking at alt issue or a VR issue   I took the cover off and it is electronic didn't see any burning or smell under cover

I do have a new im going to try this weekend but thinking I should be getting more voltage like 13- 14?

tests were done while engine was idling the voltage guage shows 10 -11 volts at idle it goes up to 12 a little higher rpm then moves up over 13 over like 2k rpm   

Any suggestions?

Pete in NH

The battery voltage with the alternator charging should be in the 13.5 to 14.7 volt range or so with the engine above idle, say 1500 to 2000 rpm. Unless the battery is really down in charge. If you have a battery charger, get the battery back up and then see what you get. I'm not sure what you measured with the .01 v on the green wire. If that was to ground, something is not right. You said you measured 10.5 volts at the VR. Was that the output terminal with the green wire? If so, you should also see that at the field connection of the alternator. It could be as simple as an open wire or terminal connection.

mopar0166

Ill have to look furhter into it tonight

how about the pulley size as far as the liow charge at idle? 

thats doesnt explain the higher voltage spikes. could that be a combo of the wrong pulley and the a short maybe ?

mopar0166

mopar0166