News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Best year for the 440

Started by shawn2784, November 09, 2013, 06:26:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

shawn2784

Sorry if this has been addressed in the past, but i was wondering what year would be best to look for when it comes to the 440. This will be for a mild build, nothing too extreme

Steve P.

Any year is fine for a mild build. Look in the PROVEN BUILDS and you will see 99% if the 440's there are stock blocks..

Stepping up to the 500HP range you will certainly want a better crank and rods, but a mild build is easy with any 440..
Steve P.
Holiday, Florida

green69rt

Others will certainly know more than me but I thought all the 440 blocks were very similar.   Year-to -year the heads may have changed and maybe the crankshaft :shruggy: :shruggy:

Cooter

Best way to know this answer is to have whatever block your gonna use sonic checked for cylinder variations and thickness.
I've seen 1968 HP blocks sonic check thinner in some cylinders than a 1976 block. The later blocks had lesser metal strength, but more metal to compensate.
" I have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours researching what works and what doesn't and I'm willing to share"

squeakfinder

I've got a 75 block with a steel crank in my Charger that's bored .060 over. It was allready .030 over when I got it, and needed a rebuild. I haven't really had any problems. But if I were to do another project that needed a 440 I would pull the heads to make sure it was a stock bore block just for the piece of mind.
The 440 source link is a long read. But I think worth taking a look at.

http://www.440source.com/info.htm
Still looking for 15x7 Appliance slotted mags.....

shawn2784

Thanks for the answers guys! I have several 440s close to me for sale, and i just wanted to pick the right one.

shawn2784

Thanks for the link squeakfinder!!