News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Bigger brakes and wheels - 68

Started by ChargedNJ, November 20, 2013, 12:33:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ChargedNJ

Hey guys.  I want to upgrade to larger wheels and brakes.  My ultimate goal is a modern pro-touring setup from XV or Reilly but in the meantime, can i upgrade my brakes and get the larger wheels i want that will work with that pro-touring setup once i can afford to get to it?  Attached is a pic of what i'm starting with.  Any help is appreciated...

WHITE AND RED 69

Wheels will be no problem unless you want to go as wide as possible. With the Reilly setup you can go a bit wider in the front but with the stock stuff you can easily fit an 8" wide front and 10" wide rear tire. My setup is an 18x8 up front and 18x10 in the rear and I have no fitment issues at all. Anything on the rear over a 10" wide will require you to tub the wheel wells.

As for the brakes it depends on what spindle you are currently running. I would ask XV or Reilly what brake kits are compatible with your current spindle. Reilly I know offers multiple setup options and will let you know what kits will work. XV usually will try and push their kits with their setup. Worst case is you might have to get a new set of hubs but the rotor caliper and all the hardware will still work. 
1969 Dodge Charger R/T
2016 Jeep Grand Cherokee 75th edition
1999 Jeep Grand Cherokee
1972 Plymouth Duster

ChargedNJ

Thanks man!  So what did you do as far as brakes go?  Are you using your stock spindles?

WHITE AND RED 69

Quote from: ChargedNJ on November 20, 2013, 02:40:28 PM
Thanks man!  So what did you do as far as brakes go?  Are you using your stock spindles?

I am using Baers Track 4 fronts with a 13" rotor and Baer Ironsport on the rear with a 11.75" rotor. I am planning later to upgrade the rears to Baers SS4 with a 4 piston caliper. For spindles I am using a 73 E body spindles. I am also running the brakes off a hydroboost master cylinder. Makes the brakes work top notch. Extremely happy with this setup.

:cheers:
1969 Dodge Charger R/T
1999 Jeep Grand Cherokee
1972 Plymouth Duster

ChargedNJ

That sounds awesome!  Do the older spindles limit the amount of brake and wheel choices?

WHITE AND RED 69

Whatever spindle you choose to run you will have plenty of options. Most companies offer kits for either one. If you stick with the drum spindle, Wilwood has plenty of kits as well as viper caliper conversions can be done with drum spindles. Or if you use the 73 and up spindles Baer, Dr. Diff, and plenty of other companies have you covered. It's just a matter of finding a proven good quality kit with good feedback.

The spindles won't limit your wheel options but some kits like the wilwood will push the wheel out further (a very small amount and the kit will tell you how much) cause the hubs are bigger. Also helps for caliper clearance. Just something to consider if you have custom wheels made up.
1969 Dodge Charger R/T
1999 Jeep Grand Cherokee
1972 Plymouth Duster

Dino

Sorry to hijiack, but are there kits for the rears that push the wheels out as well?  My tires are rubbing the inside wheel wells.
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

WHITE AND RED 69

The kits I have seen usually just affect the fronts cause of the differences in hubs and it's usually a very small amount. How bad is it rubbing? What about running an 1/8" wheel spacer?
1969 Dodge Charger R/T
1999 Jeep Grand Cherokee
1972 Plymouth Duster

Dino

Quote from: WHITE AND RED 69 on November 21, 2013, 02:41:40 PM
The kits I have seen usually just affect the fronts cause of the differences in hubs and it's usually a very small amount. How bad is it rubbing? What about running an 1/8" wheel spacer?

It only rubs turning into certain parking lots.  The car's body needs to be at an angle for the tire to hit so not too bad.  If there's a rear kit that would bring the wheels out then I'd just get that but as it sits, a 1/2" spacer would do the trick!
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

bill440rt

If you go with Reilly he is also a distributor for Wilwood and carries their products.
I have Wilwood's on my '69, very happy with them. As stated, they offer kits for both drum or disc brake spindles depending on what you have on your car now.
If you choose the 6-piston front kit you'll have to run a minimum 17" wheel. I run 18s on the front & 19s on the rear.
"Strive for perfection in everything. Take the best that exists and make it better. If it doesn't exist, create it. Accept nothing nearly right or good enough." Sir Henry Rolls Royce

six-tee-nine

If your going with aftermarket large wheels you gonna need some extra lowering in the future. So why not take all the advantages in one time.

A pair of magnumforce drop spindles would do the trick. Then you have a built in 2" drop without having to mess with the suspension geometry and you get the later 73 style disk spindle in one piece.

If you consider Viper calipers then contact Dr. Diff he has reasonable priced kits, otherwise Baer is great also. Stay away from Willwood thats for drag racers since the calipers have no dust boots.
Greetings from Belgium, the beer country

NOS is nice, turbo's are neat, but when it comes to Mopars, there's no need to cheat...