News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Low hanging exhaust ??? - headers and 383/400

Started by XH29N0G, October 27, 2013, 06:40:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

XH29N0G

After seeing all the recent discussion about exhaust and 383 engines, a question hit me.  If you look at the pictures below, you will see that the exhaust pipes and headers hang low (well below the rocker panels).  When I look at them under the car, I see a good 2-2.5 inches of space between the exhaust and the driveshaft.  Some of this is because the people who installed the exhaust did not fit it up, around, and into the channels made for it.  This bothers me and I want to fix it.  I am thinking about learning to weld and redoing this myself. 

The engine is a B (rather than RB).  I am using hooker competition headers (for both 440 and 383).  I would like to see what the 383/400 (B) TTI headers look like from the side under the car.  Are they closer to the floorpan because they are made for a B rather than an RB?  A picture from the side (low) would really tell me.  It might also be of interest for other B engine second gen owners. :scratchchin: 

I presently have 2.5 inch exhaust.  If I redo it, I might go to 3" through the mufflers and 2.5 for the tailpipe.  I also am thinking about adding flanges in front for the mufflers so the x pipe assy can be dropped in the same way I saw in another thread.
Who in their right mind would say

"The science should not stand in the way of this."? 

Science is just observation and hypothesis.  Policy stands in the way.........

Or maybe it protects us. 

I suppose it depends on the specific case.....

cudaken

XH29NOG, these are the only pictures I have off TTI headers on a Charger with a 383. Pictures are with it up in the air while I installed the 2.5 inch TTI exhaust.

http://s83.photobucket.com/user/cudaken/media/Bodywork/1-IM000166_zpsa54f5cac.jpg.html]

http://s83.photobucket.com/user/cudaken/media/Bodywork/1-IM000165_zpsc78539de.jpg.html]

Only real differences is the bolt holes on the TTI header collectors are on the sides on the bottom where my Hooker Super Comps one is at the bottom center.

Theses TTI headers are around 10 years old, so TTI maybe be making headers for just a 383 now? Heck they could have been when theses where bought and they could be 383 headers?  :shruggy: I did not buy them, a friend brought them down to install in his Charger.

Cuda Ken
I am back

XH29N0G

Thanks Cudaken,

My understanding of what you have written is that the drop below the floorboards on the TTI and supercomps that you have seen are similar.  It looks like the exhaust pipes after the headers that you have have a bend that tucks them back up into the chassis a little more than the ones I have, which run at a shallow angle up to the mufflers. 

One more question.  In the picture I appended, my exhaust runs where the red arrow is rather than bending in towards the center and running where the yellow arrow is (where I think it should run).  Should it run where the yellow arrow is to tuck back up into the chassis?

Thanks.
Who in their right mind would say

"The science should not stand in the way of this."? 

Science is just observation and hypothesis.  Policy stands in the way.........

Or maybe it protects us. 

I suppose it depends on the specific case.....