News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

70 Chager 500 K Member

Started by cptjohn, October 03, 2013, 04:23:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cptjohn

My 70 Charger came with a 318.  Will I be able to use this k-member when I install my 440?
1970 Charger RT clone in waiting

Mike DC

Yes.  It will need B/RB motor mounts for the big block though (small bolt-on items).  

The radiator could be a problem though.  The rad support hole could be 22" or 26" wide from the factory.  You want the wider one for a 440.  The factory didn't make the radiator choice by the engine but rather by the option.  (A heavily optioned 318 car might have been built with the bigger radiator, and yet a lightly optioned big block car might not.)  If your car has the narrower 22" wide one then you need to plan on either cutting the hole out bigger or cutting out & welding in a 26" rad core support (it's reproduced now).

The trannys and rearends are different too.  The rearend does not need to be upgraded just to physically operate although you may waste the 318 rearend with abuse from the 440.  The tranny does have to be switched though.  The tranny bellhousing bolt patterns are different from 318 to 440.  

cptjohn

Thanks for the response.  It  did come with the 26" radiator so I won't have to enlarge  the opening. ;)

bull

Quote from: cptjohn on October 05, 2013, 05:55:32 PM
Thanks for the response.  It  did come with the 26" radiator so I won't have to enlarge  the opening. ;)

Is it the stock radiator? If so I'd be tempted to sell it for $500 on Ebay. If originality doesn't mean much to you, I would think it wouldn't based on the topic, that radiator is the same one that came on the T/A Challengers and AAR Cudas. Big money for ratty radiators with the right numbers and you can buy a new aluminum one.

cptjohn

I believe it is the stock radiator.  I'll have to check.  Thanks for the information on possibly selling it.