News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Unused wire on relay

Started by Dino, October 05, 2013, 04:12:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dino

I'm installing the 5 pin Bosch type relays for the headlights and am not sure what to do with the 87a terminal wire.  I know it's not used on a 69 so what do I do with it?  Tape it or remove it entirely?  Will the 87a terminal have power coming to it at all? 
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

Mopar Nut

"Dear God, my prayer for 2024 is a fat bank account and a thin body. Please don't mix these up like you did the last ten years."

A383Wing

87a terminal not used on headlight system

Dino

Let me restate the issue.  I wasn't clear.

I did not run the wiring to the relay individually.  I bought two sets that each came with a relay and a pre wired socket.  The 87a terminal on the socket has a foot long 14 AWG wire and I'm not sure if it ever has power to it or not.  If not then I will just tape it into the loom but if it does then obviously I need a better idea.  Once I have wrapped all the wiring I plan on using rtv sealer in the bottom of the socket and lots of dielectric grease between connections to keep it sealed as best as possible.
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

A383Wing

that wire is not used...either remove it, or just tape it off in loom

MaximRecoil

It is easy to remove it from the plug. Just slide something small and thin in there from the front to depress the locking tab on the brass terminal, and the wire and terminal will slide right out. I removed that wire from both of my relay plugs.