News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Fast & Furious 7 filming?

Started by Drache, September 10, 2013, 09:26:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ghoste

As opposed to the realism of a car getting tire smoke during a wheelie?  It is in real trouble then. :lol:

Mike DC

QuoteAs opposed to the realism of a car getting tire smoke during a wheelie?  It is in real trouble then

Yeah, true dat.

Or is it? 

I think a wheelie could probably produce tire smoke if the vehicle power & physics were tipped far enough in favor of it.  Think about it - plenty of cars can spin the tires, produce smoke, and still move themselves forward at the same time.  They won't move forward nearly as fast as the wheels are turning, but they can move. 

Slipping tires and evidence of traction are a trade-off but they are not mutually exclusive.   

We only think of a wheelie being mutually exclusive with tire smoke because even the best wheelstanding cars struggle to do a wheelie. 

-----------------------------

I'm surprised about the hanging cars in the video though.  Most anything that involves several cars/trucks being wire-rigged across a big area is probably more practical to do with CGI these days.  They usually still end up doing a bunch of CGI tweaks (wire removal, etc) on that kind of footage anyway.   

Maybe they are just too scared to use any significant CGI after those tunnel scenes in the 4th movie.  In #4 they actually did all those car shots using real cars in action, and only CGI'd the underground tunnel set around them.  But it still came out looking so fake that the whole scene might as well have been footage from a video game as far as the audience was concerned. 

Baldwinvette77

Quote from: Ghoste on September 13, 2013, 08:04:04 PM
As opposed to the realism of a car getting tire smoke during a wheelie?  It is in real trouble then. :lol:

i've seen some old racing videos of super light dragsters doing wheelies and creating tire smoke, but never a 4000lbs charger  :scratchchin:

Dino

Quote from: Baldwinvette77 on September 14, 2013, 07:41:01 AM
Quote from: Ghoste on September 13, 2013, 08:04:04 PM
As opposed to the realism of a car getting tire smoke during a wheelie?  It is in real trouble then. :lol:

i've seen some old racing videos of super light dragsters doing wheelies and creating tire smoke, but never a 4000lbs charger  :scratchchin:

Well that's because you haven't yet seen Plastic & Ridiculous part 7 my friend.   :icon_smile_big:
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

Baldwinvette77

well im actually kinda interested in seeing why Dominic Torreto felt it was necessary to cut up a charger and go baja racing with it, kinda reminds me of this

http://www.streetlegaltv.com/news/james-garners-baja-olds-442-back-in-action/

Mike DC

For all we know it might not even be Dom's car this time.  

In FF#4 they killed it near the end of the movie but they showed it revived a few minutes later as the credits rolled.  But going into #7, the Charger last died 1.5 movies ago with no suggestions of it ever coming back since then.  Dom has been shown with three hot Mopars since then, two of them muscle-era, and none were that '70 Charger.

The only other time the '70 Charger stayed dead for so long was after the 1st movie.  That was when Vinnie was out of the franchise and the producers didn't realize how iconic that car was.

1974dodgecharger

Quote from: Mike DC (formerly miked) on September 15, 2013, 08:58:41 AM
For all we know it might not even be Dom's car this time.  

In FF#4 they killed it near the end of the movie but they showed it revived a few minutes later as the credits rolled.  But going into #7, the Charger last died 1.5 movies ago with no suggestions of it ever coming back since then.  Dom has been shown with three hot Mopars since then, two of them muscle-era, and none were that '70 Charger.

The only other time the '70 Charger stayed dead for so long was after the 1st movie.  That was when Vinnie was out of the franchise and the producers didn't realize how iconic that car was.

vin was only out after the first one because he 'believed' at the time there was no future after the first one that he did not like the movie he 'LOVED' riddick and TRIPLE XXX at the time and believed those two movies would make a superstar, but it did not happen.  He realized he could make more money out of the FandF series and use the money he makes from those and put it towards riddick and triple XXX. 

Mike DC

Leaving after #1 seemed like a smart move for Vin at the time.  NOBODY saw any decent future for the F&F series in the aftermath of the first one.  There was a feeling in the air that Vin was a bigger star than the F&F franchise deserved and they had just lucked into getting him on his way up in the first movie.

The fact that they've stretched the F&F thing into so many (decent big) movies completely defies conventional Hollywood logic about developing a franchise.  

Ironically, if Vin & Paul Walker had never left, they would probably have worn the franchise out with a couple of quick/bad sequels before it had time to develop into something with more of a future.  When the original cast members started leaving it forced the producers to broaden the cast, locations, storyline, tone, etc.  The original cast's return several movies later made the public (and the studio money lenders) give the franchise another shot once everyone was over the import car thing.        

1974dodgecharger

Mike,

not really the movie made tons of money off the first one even before it was out of the theatre they planned a 2nd one already.  It cost only 40 million to make at the time and it grossed I think over 300 million off the bat.  It was a surprise movie of the summer.  It was just personal reasons Vin did not want to come back....but money brough him back.

tcs69rt

You guys are correct. The actors filmed up on the peak and then the stunt team only, filmed up on my friends ranch here in Colorado. They were not allowed off road ruining the national forest. They used the ranch roads for that. I took my 69 Charger RT to the set and took pics of the cars with mine. I was lucky enough to meet the directors and drivers. They asked that I hold off posting pics on this forum until the trailer for the movie comes out.....
"Life ain't easy when you rode the short bus."

1974dodgecharger

Quote from: tcs69rt on October 19, 2013, 11:14:21 AM
You guys are correct. The actors filmed up on the peak and then the stunt team only, filmed up on my friends ranch here in Colorado. They were not allowed off road ruining the national forest. They used the ranch roads for that. I took my 69 Charger RT to the set and took pics of the cars with mine. I was lucky enough to meet the directors and drivers. They asked that I hold off posting pics on this forum until the trailer for the movie comes out.....

Wow dude thats awesome....hope u took lots of pics.... :2thumbs:

hatersaurusrex

Quote from: Bob on September 10, 2013, 10:31:44 AM
Is it photoshop? I don't see leaf springs in the back of the charger.

From the pics on the other thread, the axles appear to be 8 lug, meaning they were swapped in and probably have a hack job drag link type setup on them.   Interestingly the fronts also appear to be 8 lug too, so... 4x4 perhaps?
[ŌŌ]ƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖ[ŌŌ] = 68
[ŌŌ][ƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖ][ƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖ][ŌŌ] = 69
(ŌŌ)[ƗƗƗƗƗƗƗƗƗƗƗƗƗƗƗƗƗƗ](ŌŌ) = 70

tcs69rt

Yes and the windows are plexi-glass. The frames are made for 4x4 and the axles did not look like Mopar to me. There is no vin # on these cars.  :cheers:  TC

JB400

tcs69rt

My pics are of the cars on a wire. Also cars loaded up on flatbeds with mine parked beside them while we were saying goodbye to all the stunt drivers and set crews. I will post them when the movie trailer comes out. We were told that the 30 days spent here was for only 3 minutes of film footage.

Mike DC

Do you have any sense of why they were flying cars on wires?  

Hollywood has always ignored the laws of physics.  But I'm curious as to what made them think wire rigging was their best option for filming some off-roading cars in a "Furious" movie.  

It's a lot better to just launch cars off ramps if they want some brief jumping or crashing shots.  It's cheaper, faster, more realistic, etc.  And the final price of all that wire rig shooting would have bought plenty of CGI shots.