News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

440s for sale

Started by Dreamcar, October 03, 2013, 09:16:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dreamcar

I'm seeing lots of motorhome 440s with 727 transmissions for sale for peanuts. Since I'd have a rebuild done anyway, would an engine and trans from an rv work in my 69 charger? I already have a set of 906 heads that I can use.

My plan is to have a 375-400hp cruiser, not a race car.
"And another thing, when I gun the motor, I want people to think the world is coming to an end." - Homer Simpson

1969 Charger, 383, Q5/V1W, A35, H51, N88,  numbers match (under restoration)

Cooter

Many are cast crank engines and very low compression. But, there does seem to be a wizard here that can get over 400 hp from one of these turd engines. Just plan on running an automatic behind it as they are not drilled for pilot bearing.

Also, be aware that some are HD industrial engines. Whole top end is different. Trans out of motorhome many times has a different tailshaft with brake drum on back. Will not work in a car.
" I have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours researching what works and what doesn't and I'm willing to share"

myk

'OP if you're going to tear the block down and install your own parts anyway then any year 440 will do.  I don't know about the 727's though...

john108

I have some peanuts and can use one of those 440 blocks. 

Dreamcar

Quote from: myk on October 03, 2013, 11:13:27 PM
'OP if you're going to tear the block down and install your own parts anyway then any year 440 will do.  I don't know about the 727's though...

Yes. What I'm looking for is a 440 block that will be completely rebuild with mostly new parts.
"And another thing, when I gun the motor, I want people to think the world is coming to an end." - Homer Simpson

Supercharged Riot

Im working on a late model 440 block right now, but im going with all new internals....might as well

Dreamcar

Quote from: Supercharged Riot on October 04, 2013, 03:19:05 PM
Im working on a late model 440 block right now, but im going with all new internals....might as well

Can I ask what your plans are for a transmission (type, year,)?

Supercharged Riot

What Im really looking for is a specific spec T-56 Viper transmission.
Overall, It can handle a lot of power and it is still designed for street use, which is what I want.

Right now I only have a A833 23 spline transmission, so I'll have to work with what I got for now.

SRT-440

I have a RV 440 and the RV 727 in my 71 Dart...replaced the internals with six pack rods and pistons using the heads it came with it (after a valve job)...RPM intake, Eddie carb, cam...runs great. Spins the tires at almost any speed even with the 2.76 gears.
All I had to do was get a new drive shaft (was a 318 car) and engine mounts and it fell right in. :)
"It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog..."

2012 SRT8 392 Challenger (SOLD)
2004 Dodge Stage 1 SRT-4 (SOLD)
1970 Plymouth Road Runner Clone w/6.1 HEMI (SOLD)
1971 Dodge Dart w/440 (SOLD)
1985 Buick Grand National w/'87 swap and big turbo (SOLD)