News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

can a stall converter fix my problem?

Started by nvrbdn, October 05, 2013, 10:15:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

nvrbdn

i have a 383 bored 30 over. put in a 484 lift purple cam. im on an automatic trans 727. car runs great. sounds great. i have to idle up to keep the engine from stalling when i put it in gear. the problem is the brakes. i am standing on the brakes to stop. will a stall converter help with this problem? :shruggy:
70 Dodge Charger 500
70 Duster (Moulin Rouge)
73 Challenger
50 Dodge Pilot House

John_Kunkel

Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

nvrbdn

70 Dodge Charger 500
70 Duster (Moulin Rouge)
73 Challenger
50 Dodge Pilot House

68Charger4me

How much manifold vacuum do you have? If that's an older grind 484 cam the manifold vacuum will be low and not enough to use power brakes. 

Cooter

I think your true problem is low vacuum to power brakes. Thats alotta cam for stock converter too, but won't help power brakes.
A stall will help your launch, and a vacuum reserve will help your PB.
" I have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours researching what works and what doesn't and I'm willing to share"

nvrbdn

thanks for the replies. it looks like i should swap out the cam. others have stated that this particular cam never allowed them to have power brakes.
70 Dodge Charger 500
70 Duster (Moulin Rouge)
73 Challenger
50 Dodge Pilot House

Dino

Make sure you don't have any vacuum leaks first before you start a big job like that.
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

nvrbdn

i will. i may go out there today and measure the manifold vacuum. if i swap the cam, it will probably be a winter project. would rather fix with a cure all, but after reading up on a few cams last night, i feel i probably just got the wrong cam. bought it at a swap meet brand new for 100.00 and couldnt pass it up.
70 Dodge Charger 500
70 Duster (Moulin Rouge)
73 Challenger
50 Dodge Pilot House

nvrbdn

i just looked at the vacuum reserve that cooter spoke of. this may be an answer. its rather inexpensive and worth a shot before ripping everything apart. so i think i will be working in that direction, and looking at a stall converter also.
70 Dodge Charger 500
70 Duster (Moulin Rouge)
73 Challenger
50 Dodge Pilot House