News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Engine Weight

Started by Ponch ®, March 01, 2006, 10:27:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ponch ®

I need to buy a stand for a 360 that I just bought. Assuming everything is stock on the engine, what would be the most it would weigh?
"I spent most of my money on cars, birds, and booze. The rest I squandered." - George Best

Chrysler Performance West

RD

around 550-600 lbs i would say
67 Plymouth Barracuda, 69 Plymouth Barracuda, 73 Charger SE, 75 D100, 80 Sno-Commander

Ponch ®

Quote from: RD on March 02, 2006, 12:40:11 AM
around 550-600 lbs i would say

so a 750lb  stand would probably be kosher, right?
"I spent most of my money on cars, birds, and booze. The rest I squandered." - George Best

RD

yeah no problem.  I have had a fully assembled 318 on a 750lb AC Delco engine stand for about 6 months now with no problems.  I would recommend you get an engine stand where the tower is set at like 10 degrees back to counter balance the weight of the motor.

750 lb engine stands, i had a completely assembled 400 on one of those with minimal sag.
67 Plymouth Barracuda, 69 Plymouth Barracuda, 73 Charger SE, 75 D100, 80 Sno-Commander

8WHEELER

Just about any engine stand sold today can handle a small block, but I would never put and engine
on a three leg engine stand you need at least 4 points on the ground or this will happen.  :o :o :o :o

We torqued the heads down twice, and I was holding the engine, then I was half way out of the garage
and BOOOM, looked back and he had tried to do the head bolts one more time on his own, not a good idea.

This is my 440, in 91, still in the car today.

Dan

74 Dart Sport 360, just for added fun.

Rocky

:oThat can't be good for the spark plugs :o

Ghoste

Ouch.  Can't be good for a lot of things.  I suppose the impact wouldn't be any worse than a collision and cars still run fine after that but it would still send a cold shiver down my spine if it were my engine.  A good argument for NOT buying one of those 20 dollar Made in China engine stands.

Mike DC

Saw a 440 tip over onto the floor once, just falling a foot or so.  It crushed the valvecover & bent one of the valves.  Luckily that was it.

The valvecover & valve probably did a nice job of absorbing the impact that would have otherwise gone to the block & head castings.

golden73

Don't buy your stand from jegs. I bought a 1250lb stand for my 360 and the damn thing is about to fall over  :flame: And its only a short block at the moment...  :RantExplode:

Ponch ®

ok...i bought a 1250lb stand.

What kind of bolts (grade, size, etc) should I use to put the engine on it?

Ghoste

Given the minimal cost difference I'd definitely use grade 8 hardware.  Overkill yes, but it's also cheap insurance.

Ponch ®

Quote from: Ghoste on March 04, 2006, 12:27:26 PM
Given the minimal cost difference I'd definitely use grade 8 hardware.  Overkill yes, but it's also cheap insurance.

what about size?

can I find them at any hardware store?

Ponch ®

nvermind...went to PAW warehouse and they hooked me up with a nice set of bolts.