News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Disc Brake conversion ?????? Help needed please.

Started by photon, October 02, 2013, 11:30:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

photon

My 69 charger project that is years in the making is finally coming together.  I purchased a set of disc brake spindles and front end parts that came off a 1973 dart.  I put on the spindles and the rotors were very useable.  I went to my local napa and asked for brake calipers off a 1973 dart.  I noticed a clearance issue with the front sway bar mount and did a search on this site and figured out that the only part I should have used were the spindles.  My questions are,  do I need different caliper adapters?  Will the dart rotors work?  Do I need different calipers?  I told the parts guy to look under a 73 dart but he typed in my 383 engine when he asked for engine size.  I do have a 73 roadrunner that has all the front end parts on it still.  Could I correct my mistake by using some of those parts on the dart spindles?  Would the new 1973 dart calipers still fit on the roadrunner parts or do I need to ask for a caliper from a 73 RR.

bull

I don't recall off hand whether the Dart calipers will work but I'm leaning toward no.

Here's something you should read through first: http://www.moparaction.com/tech/archive/disc-main.html

My swap included the same spindles you have but I used Fury adapters and Fury 11.75" rotors along with Challenger calipers swapped side to side to avoid sway bar interferance.

Back N Black

I used the Dart Spindles, what you need is the calipers, pads and rotors from a 85-86 Dodge Diplomat. The front flex lines i used were from a 73 Road runner.

nvrbdn

i am getting ready to do the same   ,dont want to hijack, or change the idea of the thread, and hope you dont mind, cuz it is along the same line.

i have a spindle/rotor/caliper from what im assuming is old mopar b body. think the markings were
   BUDD   81818   223  on the caliper, and has what i read about was the split caliper. the report i read wasnt great on these. can the spindles be used and go with different calipers? what rotors? use the rotors that are there,and just go with calipers? start over and look for dart spindles or an after market set-up?  thanks
70 Dodge Charger 500
70 Duster (Moulin Rouge)
73 Challenger
50 Dodge Pilot House

photon

Thanks for the advice.  I ended up going to the parts store and ordering 11.75 rotors and pin type calipers for a 1978 plymouth fury.  Now I am on the hunt for caliper brackets/adapters for the 76-79 b body.  If I read correctly the distance between holes on that bracket should be 3.5 inches.  I pulled the calipers and brackets of my 73 RR parts car and they were only 3.25 inches between the holes and I am guessing the rotors are 11 inches.  Are there any 80's cars that would have that bracket that I need?  Would the brackets from the diplomat mentioned in the above post work?

Cooter

Quote from: nvrbdn on October 03, 2013, 02:03:45 PM
i am getting ready to do the same   ,dont want to hijack, or change the idea of the thread, and hope you dont mind, cuz it is along the same line.

i have a spindle/rotor/caliper from what im assuming is old mopar b body. think the markings were
   BUDD   81818   223  on the caliper, and has what i read about was the split caliper. the report i read wasnt great on these. can the spindles be used and go with different calipers? what rotors? use the rotors that are there,and just go with calipers? start over and look for dart spindles or an after market set-up?  thanks

Try and stay away from the BUDD disc brakes. I had a set on a factory disc brake Polara and could NOT find rotors.
" I have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours researching what works and what doesn't and I'm willing to share"

squeakfinder

I have 75 Dart disc's on mine. I mounted the calipers to the rear. This involves switching the spindles driver side to passenger side and so forth. The rubber hose's that go to the caliper's are for a 73 Charger. I have had no braking issue's.
Still looking for 15x7 Appliance slotted mags.....

nvrbdn

Quote from: Cooter on October 03, 2013, 08:29:16 PM
Quote from: nvrbdn on October 03, 2013, 02:03:45 PM

Try and stay away from the BUDD disc brakes. I had a set on a factory disc brake Polara and could NOT find rotors.

answered my question. thanks. :2thumbs:
70 Dodge Charger 500
70 Duster (Moulin Rouge)
73 Challenger
50 Dodge Pilot House

hemi71x

RF-4C Phantom 69-370 Zweibrucken, Germany

photon

Thanks hemi71x  :cheers:.  I went and purchased them.  I called several mopar friends and came up somewhat empty handed.  I did have a good mopar friend offer me a set he had future plans for on the condition I would replace them in the future.  That was a very kind gesture.  I did not want to hold up his project and drive all around looking for another set. I thank you for pointing out that set on eBay.

Mopar Nut

"Dear God, my prayer for 2024 is a fat bank account and a thin body. Please don't mix these up like you did the last ten years."

hemi71x

The man that you purchased them from is a friend of mine, down in Southern California.
Guess i will let him know that he owes me one.  lol
Put them to good use.

twenty mike mike

For those who swapped spindles and calipers, how did you route the hoses? Don't they have to go on the front of the calipers, instead of the rear, after the swap?

hemi71x

For the guys that are using the "Slider" type calipers, using hoses from the Aspen, and Volare, line of cars works well, when the spindles and calipers are swaped, from side to side.
But for the "pin type" calipers, i really don't know what's being used.
I haven't been paying attention what's being used for hoses.