News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

70 Charger Resto-Mod progressing one step at a time

Started by Johnnys70SRT, September 02, 2013, 08:52:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Johnnys70SRT

Hello Everyone. Well, after a few years on the back burner, my Charger is moving forward. Just put the engine in 2 weeks ago along with most of the front suspension. Man, did that feel good to finally take that big step.
I noticed after we installed the engine, that the steering gear seems to be hitting the left inner frame rail/fender. We ran out of time at work because they were closingfor the day. So, I brought the car home and need to adjust the k-frame so the steering gear wil not hit. I have the car on jacks-stands, have loosened the k-frame bolts, and took the tension off the torsion bars, but I'm having one heck of a time trying to get any type of gap. I have looked through hundreds of pictures I have taken of B-bodies, but have not found one that shows how much of a gap there should be between the steering gear and frame rail. If any of you have a picture that shows this, I would greatly appreciate it if you could post it. Also, do you have any ideas on the best way to shift the k-frame? Thanks for any help you can give.

Rolling_Thunder

The steering gear box all but touches the frame rail...    sometimes they actually do make contact.
1968 Dodge Charger - 6.1L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.55 Sure Grip

2013 Dodge Challenger R/T - 5.7L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.73 Limited Slip

1964 Dodge Polara 500 - 440 / 4-speed / 3.91 Sure Grip

1973 Dodge Challenger Rallye - 340 / A-518 / 3.23 Sure Grip

toocheaptosmoke

Was there a shim between the box and and the mount installed?  I know my box hit the frame without the shim in place, it just clears it with it in there.

ws23rt

The steering gear in my coronet touches the inner fender/shock tower/frame thingie?  like you are describing.
I was the first one to remove it from the car and when I reinstalled it there was no effort needed to bolt it up. (it is not in a pinch)

My car has never been a wreck or otherwise altered so I think it is just the way it is :shruggy:

All the BBodys I have worked on are like that.  My Charger has 1/16 gap.  My  :Twocents: is you are fine.

Johnnys70SRT

Thanks to all of you guys for your help. This puts my mind at ease. Thought I had an issue going on here. I can't say enough good things about the folks here at DC.com. You're the best!
More updates coming soon.