News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Replacing SE emblems without removing the interior headliner.

Started by Johnny SixPack, August 28, 2013, 04:13:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Johnny SixPack

Is it possible?

When the former owner removed the vinyl top they filled in the SE emblems' holes.

I'm pretty sure the original holes would be easy to locate, but wanting to know if that's possible without tearing up the headliner.

Thanks in advance.

Johnny
Johnny's Herd:
'69 Charger SE, '70 Charger R/T SE 496 Six Pack, '72 Chrysler Imperial LeBaron, '74 International Scout II, '85 Ford F-250 Diesel, '97 Lincoln Town Car Signature Series

"If everyone is thinking alike, then someone isn't thinking." - Gen. George S. Patton Jr.

"If its got tits or tires, you're going to have trouble with it." - Unknown

Got Dodge Fever? There's only one cure.....Charger!

Lord Warlock

Yes, its possible, maybe not the best solution but you can use silicon adhesive (clear is probably best).  When I took off the originals, we pretty much pried them off with a trim removal tool which broke a stud but I wasn't planning on using the original emblems, mine were a bit worn and didn't compare to new ones which weren't that expensive,  however,  the new ones i got didn't have studs long eough to get the nuts on the backside even with the headliner off the car, so i plan on using the adhesive instead.  Pretty sure liquid nails would hold them firmer than a speed nut would hold it.  

With the new vinyl top on the car, the studs fit pretty snug in the holes without adhesive, i plan on using the adhesive just to ensure they stay on if i hit a speed bump too hard. 
69 RT/SE Y3 cream yellow w/tan vinyl top and black r/t stripe. non matching 440/375, 3:23, Column shift auto w/buddy seat, tan interior, am/fm w/fr to back fade, Now wears 17" magnum 500 rims and Nitto tires. Fresh repaint, new interior, new wheels and tires.

Dino

If the holes were welded shut and it was done properly, you'll have to drill new holes but you can go right through the top.  Most people do the bondo option though so crawl in the trunk with a flashlight and see if you can locate two bondo worms.  Remove them and try drilling through it with a small screw so you can see them through the top.  Once you see a small bump on the top you know where the center is.
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

Johnny SixPack

Thanks for the replies.

Not sure if I was clear about what I'm trying to do, but I think Dino's response tells me that the bondo worms should be visible from inside the trunk.

So, in theory, I could mark the holes with a tiny drill bit and then attach the retaining nuts without even touching the interior/headliner.

That's the main goal, replace the SE emblems without messing with the headliner, as there is still no vinyl top on the car.

Will be eventually, but that's money that goes to the chil'ens.  :angel: :scratchchin: :eek2: :rofl:
Johnny's Herd:
'69 Charger SE, '70 Charger R/T SE 496 Six Pack, '72 Chrysler Imperial LeBaron, '74 International Scout II, '85 Ford F-250 Diesel, '97 Lincoln Town Car Signature Series

"If everyone is thinking alike, then someone isn't thinking." - Gen. George S. Patton Jr.

Johnny SixPack

Johnny's Herd: