News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

How much N2O???

Started by Ex President, December 19, 2005, 01:47:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ex President

How much juice would be "safe" to shoot in my Charger?? It's a 69 model with a 71 440 in good condition.

The car has the electronic ignition upgrade with the chrome box and a Carter "high output" fuel pump. 

I'm using a new NX Hitman kit.

I have pretty extensive experience with n2o, "i've had it on every car i've owned" and have not had one hiccup ever. But i really wanted to double check with you guys before i get toooooo crazy with "my baby"!!

Any help would be appreciated!!   

deputycrawford

I would like to ask what pistons do you have? Forged or hyperutectic? Will you cam the car for N2O? Well, what is your engine combo anyway? Even with forged; if you don't have the rings specifically ground for N2O and thicker deck pistons, then I wouldn't run more than 150hp and I would work up to that slowly anyway. Besides, you can get 500 hp pretty fast with a stock 440 short block anyway. I think an engine combo will much more consistant with all throttle and no bottle.  Oh, and how do you put those smiley face things on the post? I try dragging it down and it doesn't work.
If it ain't wide open; it ain't running.        Rule number one in motocross racing: Pin it; row the gear box; and wait until you hit something.     At work my motto is: If you need me, call someone else.

Ex President

The car has the 284/484 purple shaft cam in it already, and all of the internals are stock. I have no idea on the piston, but i'm assuming cast since it's not one of the "good" 440's. I never planned on exceeding 150 with it. I actually never planned on going over 100. Just wanted that extra little kick whenever i take her to the track.

As far as the smiley's go..... I just type them in manually.   ;)  :)

Ghoste

If it's not being built specifically for nitrous, I wouldn't even bother.  But that's just me.

deputycrawford

I worry about ring gap and engine materials for that engine. I performer RPM intake, headers, Demon carb, and a more modern cam design will get you somewhat close and much more consistant. oh, yeah, don't forget the gear and converter....Well; now I know why some people look for the N2O. It sounds like you won't be talked out of it so Just be careful and go slow with the N2O jets.
If it ain't wide open; it ain't running.        Rule number one in motocross racing: Pin it; row the gear box; and wait until you hit something.     At work my motto is: If you need me, call someone else.

Ghoste

Just remember, the stuff is like heroin and a little might be okay today, but before you know it, you're pounding on the back door of your favorite speed shop at 2am begging the man for some juice.  Next thing, you're skipping meals and collecting pop bottles so you can pay for a bigger shot until one day...finally... total meltdown!
And there you are broke and disgusted watching some guy leave you in the dust cuz he's all throttle. ;)

Ex President

Thanks for the helpful advice guys, but i think i've got my "habit" under control.   ;)

The car has the following:
850 Holley
Performer<--------- Sucks, fixin to get a TorkerII
284/484 purple shaft<---------- Needs a fresh set of springs
2500 stall/good shift kit
4:30 gear
NX Hitman kit "gonna stay with a safe 100 shot"

Car does 8.50's "1/8th" in 100 degree weather without the converter, and the 850, or the juice.

Looking for mid to high 7's in the 1/8th with this combo. If it'll do that, i'll leave her alone under the hood.

68ChargerJMP

Pill it till u kill it, then back off one

700HPCharger

With N02, make sure that the internals are up to snuff, invest in a good head gasket, MAKE sure that your pistons are cast, and you should be fine for 150 shot. I wouls start to worry about the rods myself though, old rods have been put through a lot of stress cycles.... :-\