News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

motor home 727 in a 72 charger?

Started by Wicked72, July 19, 2013, 09:14:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wicked72

I am working on my a friends 72(which i was working on mine..) and to get it on the road we picked up a motorhome 413 with the trans. we are wondering what it would take to make the trans work in his car. the end of the trans is completely different for a normal 727 and ive never dug into one before. can we just change the end of the trans? im thinking of just getting another trans but i figure id get some more info on it. as far as the engine i know it needs a bunch of changes to make it fit right but thats not a problem i know what to do there, just stumped on the trans.
M-Massively O-Over P-Powered A-And R-Respected

Cooter

Um, No.....Big, stupid, 'Big Truck' Drum E-brake on the back and different Trans mount location. Good for HD internals though, like 4 gear planetaries.

Get yourself a Low Perf. 400 BB 727, with like a 3 clutch high gear drum. Rob ALL the internals from the MH trans and do up a NICE, HD 727 CAR trans.
" I have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours researching what works and what doesn't and I'm willing to share"

Kern Dog

I've seen 3 different types of tailshafts in Motorhomes.

1) The standard slip yoke design similar to all 1966 and later cars, vans and light duty trucks.
2) The bolt on yoke which looks similar to the yoke on a rear axle.
3) The strange type with the big drum brake attachment.

#1 is the obvious one to choose because it was the type that your car could have had originally.
#2 could be made to work if you were desperate. You'd need a driveshaft that had its own slip yoke built into it.
#3 is the oddball. It could work in a truck or van. I thought a few early 60s C bodies had a similar trans?
Nevertheless, there are enough other standard type 727s out there to be found, no need to go off the reservation here.

Wicked72

thanks for that info. we will work on finding him a trans and swap everything over.

c00nhunterjoe

From what I recall you simply replace the main shaft and tail housing. All other parts interchange

c00nhunterjoe

And just for my own curiosity, does that 413 have the goofy heads on it, and which pistons are in it?

Wicked72

i havent got a good look at it yet. i was just there to make it sure it ran well and he picked it up with his dad once the guy got it out but ill take a look when i get out there and let you know. from what i saw it has a massive water pump thats just about as high as the carb and has a bunch of water lines that go into the intake. the exhaust manifolds seemed normal from what i remember. ill have to get some pics and the numbers off the block. from what ive read the the cam actually operates in the opposite direction then the other RB motors and the since its considered an industrial motor the compression should be somewhere around 7.5. ill get the numbers and get some specs.

Kern Dog

Highly doubtful that it has a reverse rotation engine. They were limited to boats where there were 2 engines used. One ran normally, the other had reverse rotation.

Wicked72

the crank is normal rotation the cam is not

69charger440

1969 Charger 540 Blown Hemi 1000HP, 69 Road Runner 500 Stroker 665 HP

elacruze

1968 505" EFI 4-speed
1968 D200 Camper Special, 318/2bbl/4spd/4.10
---
Torque converters are for construction equipment.

John_Kunkel

Here's a pic of the 413 gear drive.
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

Kern Dog

I'll bet it is noisy. You'd never have an issue of timing chain stretch though.

cudaken

Learn something new, or should I say old everyday.
I am back

Wicked72

you really cant hear it at all however you can get quiet and loud gear sets. the loud ones sound like you have a supercharger.

John_Kunkel

The factory gear drive (pictured) didn't come in loud and quiet versions, that's strictly an aftermarket gimmick.
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

Cooter

Good ol Pete Jackson..."Machined" for more noise...Yeah, right...Ever driven round in reverse?
" I have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours researching what works and what doesn't and I'm willing to share"

Wicked72

my 413 looked just like that when i pulled the cover. at one time i was looking into what is was all about and found a couple places that had replacement gear sets that they made loud or quiet. I had an 80 camaro with a 350 that i put a loud gear timing set in and i sounded awsome, ended up with a 454 4 spd  :2thumbs: