News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

General questions.

Started by Dan.Dodge.Charger, June 24, 2013, 10:21:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dan.Dodge.Charger

Hello I'd like to start off by saying it's nice to meet you all. Im new here and new to restoring cars and I just had a few  questions that may be easy for someone who has been doing this for awhile.

My car : 1974 dodge charger 318

Questions:

1. Is there such thing as a A/C removal kit? If so is there a place I can get one?

2. How can I tell the difference between all the models of the charger? When ever I look for a part they are usually labeled multiple names such as "super bee. Satellite.  Etc" 

3. Where can I find small cosmetic items such as rear license plate holder, windshield trim. Etc.

4. Lastly. I see people saying they hate bondo jobs and etc. What is the proper way to handle rust?
Those are all my current questions.  If anyone has a answer to any please fell free to tell me.

Ghoste

First, welcome to the group.
Do you mean a kit to evacuate the Freon or to remove the actual ac components?
The difference between the models doesn't apply so much to your 74, there was a base model Charger and an SE and if I try to answer much on the 3rd gens I'll get it wrong so I will leave it to the 3rd gen folks to properly answer this.  I will say that the Super Bee 3rdd gen was a striped down performance model for 1971 and the Satellite is a Plymouth.
Cosmetic items can be found right here among our own members or from the reproduction vendors or at swap meets.
The best way is to get replacement panels but I think they are of limited availability for your car.

Dan.Dodge.Charger

Well thank you for your help and yeah I got the charger se. And I lack a lot of knowledge on them so it's difficult to know the difference between them. Also I was wondering about removing the whole a/c unit

JB400

After you have the Freon evacuated from the system, all you have to do is unbolt the system, and then get the right belts to run your alternator.

Welcome to the forum :cheers:

Dan.Dodge.Charger

Quote from: stroker400 wedge on June 24, 2013, 11:43:16 AM
After you have the Freon evacuated from the system, all you have to do is unbolt the system, and then get the right belts to run your alternator.

Welcome to the forum :cheers:

Oh. That seems simple enough.  I assumed there was some sort of kit id have to buy to put it in the a/c place. Well thank you guys for the answers.  :2thumbs:

Ghoste

No, take off the compressor and lines and evaporator and such and you are pretty much done.  The differences in the heater box wont be affected and aren't visible.

JB400

Just one other thing though, don't junk your a/c stuff.  If you don't want it on your car is fine, but someone somewhere might want it for their ride. :Twocents:

Ghoste

And probably will pay a little more for it. ;)

Dan.Dodge.Charger

I'll definitely do that. Thanks guys  :icon_smile_big:

Ghoste

One more thing, you have to give us pics of your car.

JB400

Quote from: Ghoste on June 24, 2013, 04:01:33 PM
One more thing, you have to give us pics of your car.
I 2nd the notion  :cheers: :2thumbs: :popcrn: :popcrn: :popcrn:

John_Kunkel

Removing the A/C components from the engine isn't as simple as tossing the compressor and buying some belts.

There is an idler pulley available to replace the compressor but the only other alternative is to acquire the pulleys/brackets from a non-A/C car.
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

JB400

Mine system must have been swapped :slap:  I'll have to check it out.

You could go to a junkyard and get different brackets and pulleys from a donor vehicle.  All that I've seen after market are like these from March Performance.

http://www.marchperf.com/pg44.html

VegasCharger

Hello and welcome aboard!!! I just went through parting out a '73 Dodge Charger SE which is the same as a '74 with some exceptions such as the fuel tank, steering wheel, bigger bumperettes, seat belt warning buzzer to name a few. Like the others said removing A/C components can be a job if you're new to it. I would say remove all lines, condenser, dryer ect. leave the compressor in tact until you have a plan on how you're going to run the belts. Thus leaving your components that uses the belts intact so that you can run your engine until you do the swap. If you need any help with your Charger feel free to ask me or anyone on this site we're here to help.

Bryan  :cheers: