News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Worst that could happen W/O adj lever

Started by Dodgerdallas, June 30, 2013, 01:09:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dodgerdallas

I  cant get the adj lever to touch star wheel on right rear brake so I left it for the time being and finished the front disk setup,still need to get the ride height etc adjusted abit to get it to the alignment shop and im going to let them figure out the cable/lever problem-ive been on 3 different sites and nobodies had this problem,followed 66 manual to the tee at least 4 times,compared it to the other side and its hooked up exactly the same,even took that one apart and put back together and it turned out perfect.Its starting to look like im cursed,I blame my ex wife,anyway question is I have my brakes bled and adjusted as well as I can do it and whats going to happen if I drive it to that bum wheel w/o the lever touching the star wheel? never had this problem so I don't what will happen-gonna lock up before I get to shop?
This is gonna be cheap and easy......

ws23rt

Your question tells me that you may not fully understanding how the star adjuster lash up works. And indeed I may not know the whole story but this is what I think I know or was told that I should think I know.

As the shoes break in or wear down adjustment is needed to keep the brake pedal up.
When backing up and applying the breaks the lever pushes on the star wheel and unscrews it a bit to take up clearance.(or move the shoes closer to the drum).
It will not move the star wheel until enough clearance between the shoe and drum allow it to grab the next tang on the wheel.
That is why it won't (or can't) lock up your brakes. And it only works while braking in reverse.
In your case where the lever does not touch the star wheel It will not do anything. However it is a puzzle as to why it doesn't touch.
There is something you have missed. A bent part, spring upside down, etc.
Don't forget that one side is opposite the other. (I vote for a spring being upside down)

Dodgerdallas

I've got the height adjusted and the toe in close enough to get it to the alignment shop,I've tried changing springs around and everything else you can think of w no success,I'm going to let them fix it-it just sucks to be working on cars so long and something this trivial stumps you...thanks for the info my friend!

ws23rt

Quote from: Dodgerdallas on June 30, 2013, 05:18:31 PM
I've got the height adjusted and the toe in close enough to get it to the alignment shop,I've tried changing springs around and everything else you can think of w no success,I'm going to let them fix it-it just sucks to be working on cars so long and something this trivial stumps you...thanks for the info my friend!

The only way that something trivial stops coming up is when we stop working on these cars. For me that is some of the fun.
I sometimes think everything that can happen has and now I am home free.  :nana:
Long ago I felt dumb for missing the obvious. It never stops.

Dodgerdallas

I hear ya,it's just I work stupid hrs and I'm off on odd days,I don't have s lot o time for my ride not to mention 100 deg texas weather inside a garage -sometimes it's just easier to let someone else deal w it,especially if I taking it there anyway...

Dino

My car doesn't stop as well in reverse as it does in forward gears and I've been driving like this for years without an issue.  Never realized what could be the issue but now I know!   :2thumbs:
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.